Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

OTA installation crashes on OS4.1, works on OS4.2

Hi,

we have an application compiled with JDE 4.1 (around 400kB with many siblings) that used to work perfectly but after adding a few line codes it now crash our test units running OS4.1 when we install it OTA from the web browser.  The 7290 simulator will fail with a "Error inside JVM: Access violation reading from 0x0001DE0".  A real 8703e will crash hard and we've had to re-install the OS to make it reboot.    Simulators and test machines running the OS v4.2 works fine.

Installation from the web browser seems to be the issue since putting the .cod inside the simulator directory and rebooting it works correctly.

Any idea on how to deal with this kind of issue?  Could this be an issue with sibling CODs size?

Thanks.

Jerome

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: OTA installation crashes on OS4.1, works on OS4.2

What browser are you using to install the application?  The BlackBerry Browser, Internet Browser or WAP Browser?  You can see the default browser setting under Options, (Advanced Options), Browser.

Do you have a public like to your application you can provide?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Developer
New Developer

Thanks for your reply Mark,

On the 7290 simulator it's called simply "Browser", and on the real 8703e unit we use the "Internet Browser".  We have not tried the wap browser.

You can use the link "http://dev.cybercat.ca/rogers.linkforce.ca" to download/install the application.  Like I said, download works fine on 4.2, but crashes really hard on 4.1.

Best regards,

Jerome

I am prompted for a login when I access that URL.

Does the JAD file reference your main cod file or the sibling cod files?  Referencing the sibling cod files would be the recommended approach.  The following link explains.

What Is - The file size limit for wireless downloads
Article Number: DB-00015

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800646/What_Is...

Mark Sohm

New Developer
New Developer

Sorry about the link... it will redirect to the .jad only if accessed from a blackberry.  The direct link to the .jad would be [http://dev.cybercat.ca/rogers.linkforce.ca/install/rogersSFA.jad].

The .jad does reference to the siblings extracted from the big cod (as well as to a couple of libraries). All the cod files referenced are <128kB.

In the meantime I have rebuilt the project by merging all the java files of the libraries directly in a single project big projects that gets splitted into 6 siblings.  And this version works.  So I have a workaround but that does not explain the issue!

Best regards,

Jerome

Are your library files listed first in the JAD file?  If not, you can run into issues if the application relies on that library and it is not available on the BlackBerry.

Mark Sohm

New Developer
New Developer

No luck on that side.  I tried putting the libraries first in the .jad (and renumber the sections) and it still crashes at the end of download.

Regards,

Jerome

New Developer
New Developer

We have been able to workaround the crash by removing a couple of cod libraries and merging the code directly in the application.  It does not explain why the crash on OTA installation but with some luck we'll be able to keep the application working until our clients all move to units with OS >=4.2 !

Thanks everybody for the various suggestions.