Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

OTA installation, no application icon...works on OS6, not OS5

I have an application that I developed/packaged/signed using Blackberry Java Plugin for Eclipse. The jad is on a webserver with the cod files in the same directory.

I also have 2 devices (9700 OS5 and 9780 OS6). The application has 2 builds, one for OS5 SDK and one for OS6 SDK. They both work fine in the simulator. The 9780 OTA downloads the application fine and works fine. The 9700 OTA downloads the application, installs...BUT the application icon never shows up in the Downloads folder. It is listed in the Applications under the Options. I have searched all thru the forums and I can't find any reason as to why this doesn't work. I've tried restarts, reboots, battery pulls, JAD file editing, COD separation...and I still can't get this to work.

In the logs of the device I do receive the ApplicationControl IvHS Errors but I have the permissions set to ALLOW on everything. I also get the CMM no sig error but I read somewhere that this can be ignored. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Developer
My Device: 9700

Re: OTA installation, no application icon...works on OS6, not OS5

It's a long shot, but check the device theme properties.

As I recall, there is an option to change the default location of downloaded  applications.

E.

Contributor

Checked and it is set to the Downloads folder. Nice guess tho

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

If you see ApplicationControl IPC errors, try cold restarting the device.

Otherwise, can you give us more details of these. 

Developer

Yep, this could have been a nice solution...

Are both applications extend UiApplication class?  application which extends Application class might not have an icon...

If both do, Try installing the OS 5 cod on the 9780.

If it works, it could be a device issue so you should try a different device with OS 5.

If not, it might be one of the following:

1. Server side issue: Maybe the content type of the cod files is wrong for the specific directory. Try comparing the http traffic of both downloads and see if there is any difference.

2. Applicative issue: In this case you would need to provide some more info - ALX files (could be that your app is defined as system module?), what does your app do? Are you using any system listeners? is it auto start? etc...

E.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tried battery pull and Alt+Shift+Del restarts...neither resolved the problem. The jad files are on the same web server just in separate directories (500 for the OS5 and 600 for the OS6). 

Installing the OS5 jad on the 9780 works fine. Application installs successfully and icon shows in Downloads folder

Both apps extend UIApplication and have icons in the properties file

ALX doesn't say "System Module" anywhere.

Installing the app using the ALX file with Desktop Manager works fine on the 9700...for some reason the OTA won't install properly.

No system listeners or autostart

Developer

Try installing one of the sample applications OTA.

If it does not work, you would know that it most likely not a code issue.

If it works, again a long shot, check if the device has enough free space to contain your application (cod files).

E.