Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

One sample GPS location please

I have tried 4 or fice different sample projects for GPS location.  I cannot get any to work.

Does anyone have any *simple* code for just getting longitute/lattitude/etc without menus and buttons etc?

Samples I have tried have not been successful.  I used one from the BlackBerry java Development Environment document and it runs, but I never get any location info.  It just sits there.

I know my GPS is on and working because I get Google maps and BlackBerry maps.

thanks for any code samples.

Eclispse 3.4
JDE 5
Bold/Tour/Storm
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: One sample GPS location please

I don't know how BB works but google has their own cell tower database and that means nothing.

Your carrier is supposed to provide emergency e911 location info in the US. They will probably turn it

on when you complain, I don't know why they don't offer this at extra cost or at least say  you

are paying for artificially degraded performance to help them sell other junk. LOL.

I've got a developmental link for translating coords into things of interest, this is purely experimental and right

now cold fusion is prefixing it with a bunch of blank lines but you can get text,html or xml with findt,find, or findx actions

here and suitable parameters, ( I get a bunch of flakely errors with DB look up and even cgi variables but it usually works),

http://www.spottext.com/launcher/db/loc.cfm?action=find&longitude=-81.46277&latitude=33.4375&dimo=.2...

similar thing for zip codes,

http://www.spottext.com/launcher/db/zip.cfm?action=find&longitude=-81.46277&latitude=33.4375&dimo=.2...

looking for anyone with interest who knows of related services or has thoughts about point-of-interest collections etc.