Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Open Source App Needed

Hey everyone--

I thought I'd give it a go and try to make some BB apps. I'm somewhat proficient with Java so I'm brushing up on that but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some open source apps that are already completed so I have some good example of how things are supposed to mesh together.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also, does anyone know of any books for BB development? Thanks.

My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Open Source App Needed

My Device: Bold

LogicMail is one that I am aware of. Link
If this helped you, press the thumbs up button (on the far right - '+' thumb icon)
If this post solved the issue, click "Accept as Solution"

If you have downloaded the JDE. Then you see so many working examples added in your work-space.It will be great help,and dont forget to go through pdf's...

Thanks and Regards
New Developer

Speaking from personal experience, I'd start out with wanting to do something specific first.  I'd decide if I wanted to do UI application that accepted text from a user and then output it back out again or something like that.  So task 1 for me would be to figure out what I wanted to write.  Task 2: I'd look for a similar implementation in the samples from the JDE (on my pc they're here: "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.6.0\samples\com\rim\samples\device").  I started off with HelloWorld and just went from there.  Since you're proficient in Java, you shouldn't have any difficulties in following along; the samples are also well documented.  Task 3:  I'd get the app running on my simulator.  For JDE, its as simple as loading up the sample and running it.  More or less similar in Eclipse (my preferred dev environment).  Once it runs on my sim, I'd just make changes to it as required until I get really comfortable with what I'm doing.  

I'd advise you to also look through the BlackBerry JDE Fundamentals Guide (4.6.0 can be found here: BlackBerry Java Development Environment - 4.6.0 - Fundamentals Guide)