Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Options for Animations and Image Editing

Hi All,

I searched the forum and could find the following options for animations

1. GIFs - Some said GIF is not supported, but some were discussing workaround. I have asked if it worked for them. This option i thought if works, we can convert Flash Files into GIFs and use.
  2. PME - I havn't tried this. Downloading the CDK. But could see some inputs on forum, that we cannot edit the animation in page.
  3. Flash - Flash was not supported for eariler verions. But not sure for Storm its supported or not? Do we need to install Flash player separatly. And can i embed the flash file in screen. Not sure which API should be used (if possible)
  4. SVG - Scaler Vector Graphics. I could see some samples provided with JDK.

If i want to make include a animated image in screen which one of above would be better option.

Also can i provide any APIs which can enable editing of image like cropping, adding effects and features like that. Any pointer which will help me do image editing.

Please provide your inputs.

Thanks in advance,

My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Options for Animations and Image Editing

gif as a file format is supported, animation is not, though.
for smaller scopes i use manual animation with series of png files (internally all files are handled as png on the device, you can as well start with it).

(tiny) SVG is supported on current versions, you have to check the specc of the device though as the implementation can differ with the OS versions.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks Simon,

I hava some more doubts. For GIF portion i guess you are talking about the work around View Animated GIFs . I have tried this and it is working. Suppose I send this GIF as email to other user from my application. Now other user who will check on his BlackBerry Email Client. Will that user will be able to see the animated GIF? (As there may not be support for GIFs in email client.)

If this is not working, PME and SVG options (Flash not sure supported or not) - will they work on the recepient's email cllient.

I am not sure if I can use MMS to send the GIF or other Animated options to other user. As MMS is not present in simulator. I am not sure if i can test this. 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

The native email application does not support animated GIFs.  They can be seen within the BlackBerry Browser or by using the custom animated gif field from the knoweldge base (linked to above).

BlackBerry handhelds do not support Flash.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker