Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Password protection on Blackberry applications

Hi, I am developing an application which also includes making different applications like EMail, SMS etc secured with a password. So my question here is, what is the mechanism of tracing a call to Blackberry OS to launch a certain application so that I can set a password on that application through my code and it asks for a password everytime the application is launched?

I am in dire need of some help here and will be highly obliged and thankful for any inputs.

Many thanks in advance,

RG.

Developer

Re: Password protection on Blackberry applications

IN main method, you can show a screen which will ask for pswd. If that pswd is ok, then show the main screen of your app that means user can use that app otherwise close your app or show a msg "try again, Inavalid pswd"

Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.

If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution".

Deepesh Gupta
Developer

Thanks Deepesh for such a prompt reply. But this is not what I am looking for. I think I have not described my problem here, I need some thing like in which I can set passwords on various applications and on the launch of those applications, a password will be required to enter. Something on these lines:

Here, Contacts, Gallery, Messaging are the applications that have been locked and will require a password to open them.

Developer

If you need to set pswd for your multiple apps then you can make another app which will set pswd for each app and then chekc for the pswd for particular app and launch that app but if you want to set pswd for other 3rd party apps then you can't

If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution".

Deepesh Gupta
Developer

Now I think we are on the right track. So assuming that I have an application in place which would set passwords for various applications. But how do we track the launch of the 'now secured application' so that the password protection comes in the picture. I mean, for example, I have set the password on Calendar, so when the next time Calendar is launched, it should prompt for a password - how do we track this launch and where and how should I plug my code in?
Developer

You want to set pswd for your applications or for some other 3rd party apps? if they are native or other party then you cant do it.

Deepesh Gupta
Developer

I am talking about the applications that already reside in a blackberry device. They could be a third party or they could be default blackberry application. For example, if I want to put a password protection on Blackberry's Email/Outlook. what are the possibilities in such case?
Developer

Sorry you cannot do it

Deepesh Gupta
Developer

Just confirming Deepesh's comment.  You can't do it. 

You can not get hooks into any third party application and can only use the published hooks into the standard applications.  This has been the BlackBerry position for a number of years and I think will remain so.