Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

PhoneListener callIncoming and callOutgoing error

Currently we have an application out on the market that uses PhoneListener, SmsListener, and EmailListener to keep a log of all incoming and outgoing communications on a server.

One customer called today and claimed that the calls were not being logged (incoming or outgoing) specific to their phone, but it works on everyone elses and ours here. Is there any 3rd party application or setting that can disturb phonelistener in any way or cause this type of error??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
G

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: PhoneListener callIncoming and callOutgoing error

From memory I have read, on these forums or elsewhere, about two related issues.

1. On some releases of OS, I believe 4.6, the Phone Listener was only invoked once

2. On some OS Levels, I believe earlier ones, the system could only cope with one Phone Listener, I'm not sure whether it was the first one or the last one that won.

So check out the OS Level of the device and look at the other applications that are installed.

Developer

offcourse can!

if the device use any callback VOIP client/dialer which needs to register a custom phonelistener then while call handling either your listener or their listener will survive (my guess the last one which is registered)

multiple phoneListeners certainly will not cope with call simaltaneously and the winner will handle every phase of call.

For your case i think your phonelistener is not able to work during call.

An alternative solution is to use the BB native PhoneCallLog class.

Implement :

1. PhoneLogListner class and register it

2. handle your server entry in callLogUpdated /callLogAdded method

Then you can resolve your conflict with any other applications phoneListeners

Actually PhoneListner is for who works during call

.............................................................................................................................................

Mark "Solved" & Give Kudoes

Highlighted
Developer

"either your listener or their listener will survive"

I disagree.  I believe the OS is designed and should support multiple Phone Listeners.  I believe that the fact that it did not in a circumstance was a bug. 

"multiple phoneListeners certainly will not cope with call simultaneously"

I agree there is potential for different phone listeners to attempt to do different and conflicting things to the same call.

"the winner will handle every phase of call"

Again I disagree - I think all PhoneListeners will get invoked at all phases of the call. 

PhoneCallLog is very useful, however it does not replicate all the functionality of the PhoneListener.  However if all you are doing is logging, I agree this is the better interface to use. 

Developer

with my cusotm phoneListener i always found only one to respond to an phone event ! thanks peter for analyzing it, I will design a test for verifying this. let's try with one want to end a call and another showing a popup.