Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

PhoneScreenDemo - not displaying information on os6

Hi all

I have noticed a few threads that tail off on the boards, so am hoping that opening a new one might elicit some community response.

We are trying to do some basic call screen manipulation as per the PhoneScreenDemo application. Unfortunately we cant get it to work on os6.

We have a simple piece of code:

ScreenModel screenModel = new ScreenModel(callId);
  PhoneScreen ps = screenModel.getPhoneScreen(PhoneScreen.PORTRAIT, PhoneScreen.INCOMING);
  PhoneScreenVerticalManager vfm = new PhoneScreenVerticalManager();
  LabelField objLabel = new LabelField("V1");
  objLabel.setFont(Font.getDefault().derive(Font.BOLD, 50));
  vfm.add(objLabel);
  LabelField objLabel2 = new LabelField("V2");
  vfm.add(objLabel2);
  PhoneScreenHorizontalManager hfm = new PhoneScreenHorizontalManager();
  for(int i = 0; i < 5; i++){
   hfm.add(new LabelField("H_" + i));
  }
  ps.add(hfm); // add the overall data onto the phone screen.
  ps.setPadding(0, 0, 0, 0);
  ps.setMargin(0, 0, 0, 0);
  ps.setCurrentLocation(0, 0);
  screenModel.sendAllDataToScreen();
  ps.doPaint();

When this is run on incoming we see the item added (apparently) where the 'ringer off' button is (it knocks the button out) and the text is absolutely tiny (ridiculously so). If we report on the available area to paint into it reports an expect 180x460 (ish) pixels, but the text is painting in what looks like abot a 3x9 pixel area, in the grey button area.

On outgoing call if we invoke this code the outgoing call screen goes completely insane - goes black, totally different buttons appear at the bottom and is generally pretty messed up.

On OS7 this stuff works. We haven't moved to os5 yet as we'd need to update the above sample to fit with the jde5 enviroment.

We are using 6.0.0.294 which is a Vodafone UK standard build on 9780 devices.

Has anyone else had consistent success with PhoneScreen updates?

Even if we take the stock PhoneScreenDemo apps they behave in exactly the same way.

Contributor

Re: PhoneScreenDemo - not displaying information on os6

Having checked jira there seems to be a lot of problems with this API. Others have reported the issue of tiny text on os6 builds, and it is also worth mentioning that one of the tickets states that devices upgrade from 4.x to 5.0 most likely won't support it due to inadequate screen capabilities. I am doing the time consuming task of iterating devices and versions now to see what gives. I also raised with dev support at RIM but they just pushed me back here, but I notice that the dev at RIM that has previously picked up ScreenModel issues is declining to comment on this issue on the forums
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hello there,

Please note that the ScreenModel APIs were introduced in 6.0, therefore earlier devices (i.e. 5.0) will not be able to support this sort of integration.

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.0.0api/net/rim/blackberry/api/phone/phonegui/ScreenModel...

I'll give the code you provided a shot in my environment to see if anything stands out or behaves differently.

Erik Oros

BlackBerry Development Advisor

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Contributor

Hi Erik

Should have been more explicit. On OS5 we'd expect to be able to use the PhoneScreen to get access and push data to the screen:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/5.0.0api/net/rim/blackberry/api/phone/phonegui/PhoneScreen...

Let me know how you get on - very much appreciated.

Ryan

Retired

Hi Ryan,

I tested the code you provided with a few minor edits:

1) I removed the references to vfm as it was not actually being added to the PhoneScreen.

2) I modified the LabelFields being added to the hfm to simply add one LabelField that outlines whether the call was incoming or outgoing.

All of the PhoneScreen modification was completed within respective PhoneListener methods that were implemented.

Note that PhoneScreen.INCOMING was used in conjunction with callIncoming() and PhoneScreen.OUTGOING was used in conjunction with callInitiated().

With the above changes, I was able to display the status (outgoing vs. incoming) on the PhoneScreen successfully on my 9900. I also tested the exact same code (re-compiled for 6.0) on a 9800 running 6.0 and, while the placement was a little different due to the layout of the 9800, everything was rendered as I would expect (i.e. text was a normal, readable size.)

I was hoping you could please provide:

1) The exact model and OS version listed under: Options > Device > About Device Versions.

2) A screenshot of your 6.0 device that shows the rendering issue.

And good catch on the 5.0 PhoneScreen docs. When PhoneScreen is viewed under the 7.0 API reference, it is listed as as 5.0 API, but references ScreenModel as a requirement, which is a 6.0 API. The documetnation link you provided (for 5.0 PhoneScreen) omits ScreenModel as it isn't required there.

You may need to modify the code a little to meet the needs of 5.0, but you are correct that it should be possible to reach the same sort of functionality.

Erik Oros

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Contributor

Erik

Many thanks - I'll get the info you require and give what you did a whirl. Note we get the same behaviour using the standard PhoneScreenDemo2 sample app, so maybe that needs some love too.

The device OS we are testing on first is 6.0.0.294. We're in the process of upgrading our devices to newer OS versions too to see if that changes things, as I noticed in Jira some issues seem to have been resolved by OS version.

As soon as I am back in the hands of a 294 device I'll grab a screenshot and post

Thanks

Contributor

Erik

Have added screens of 6.0.0.294 running standard RIM PhoneScreenDemo2 sample app

Imcoming Screen:

http://mvp.cobaltstorm.co.uk/compliantphones/PhoneScreenDemo2-incoming-6.0.0.294.jpg

Also, check out outgoing screen:

http://mvp.cobaltstorm.co.uk/compliantphones/PhoneScreenDemo2-Outgoing-6.0.0.294.jpg

Our custom code does exactly the same thing.

Like you, our 9900 behaves fine.

Ryan

Contributor

Further to this.

6.0.0.570 behaves better, but text appears twice. The ringer off button is still getting nuked:

http://mvp.cobaltstorm.co.uk/compliantphones/PhoneScreenDemo2-incoming-6.0.0.570.jpg

Retired

Thanks Ryan, I'll give these OS versions a try to see what comes up here. It very well could be an OS thing as I haven't seen anything remotely similar to this yet. But I'll let you know as soon as I confirm.

Erik Oros

Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Erik

I have raised a paid for ticket on this: INC000024103041

This is causing us some major problems now across a few thousand handsets as we roll out.

Results so far

6.0.0.285 - Boned

6.0.0.294 - Boned

6.0.0.448 - yet to be tested

6.0.0.570 - displays but does twice. Also can't do more than two lines as second line (regardless of layout) always appear under the ribbon. No real way to control text size (appears very small, not like examples on the RIM site)

6.0.0.600 - same as above

6.0.0.668 - yet to be tested

5.0.0.977 (9300) - OK

5.0.0.681 (8900) - Not Supported

5.0.0.1036 - OK