Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Playing and Recording audio at the same time

Hello all,

I'm recording audio in a thread and I've another threat wich must play an audio recording continuously in a while, but it doesn't play or record at the same time.

Could not be possible playing and recording audio at the same time?

Thanks!

Developer

Re: Playing and Recording audio at the same time

AFAIK, current API's doesn't support Recording and playing Audio at same time.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
New Developer

Thanks ! I suspected it Smiley Sad

But I'm curious since I read this http://snapvoip.blogspot.com/2009/04/presidential-blackberry-8830-on-its-way.html

I suppose that the "BarackBerry" suport VoIP and I suppose that it's be able to record the voice, while it's playing the voice received !

Thus, playing and recording at same time must be possible, Don't you think so?

Regards!

New Developer

The API of Blackberry don't support full duplex (playing and recording at the same time), then ¿why "BarackBerry" support this? Man Surprised

Maybe they could be use another opertaing sytem or/and  low level API... Robot surprised

New Developer

Noboby bumps into this problem?
New Developer

Nobody?Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Developer

There really isn't a problem here. You just can't do that. You can't create a VOIP application on the Blackberry (nor other j2me phones for that matter). Actually you can't even stream audio since the MMAPI (JSR135) says that you have to call commit() on RecordControl to get access to the recorded data and commit will stop the recording. (Yes, in theory you could try tricking with two recording threads but I've never seen a successful application that does it so I suspect that it's not really possible to do a good implementation using this technique.)

Linking in an alleged solution, a device hacked for the US president, doesn't really contradict the statement above. They could just get in contact with RIM and have their code included. I guess they had the budget to convince RIM. Or this might not have happened at all. Then when people hear the above answer they usually point to other BB "voip" applications besides this one, but those are just call-in/dial-through services (i.e. they work like callingards do and the BB just makes a plain GSM voice call).

Developer
My Device: 9000 9810

Well did they do it ?

agitonetworks_blackberry_VoIP

Could you explain the theoretical trick with the two simultaneous recording threads ?

Thanks

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"
Developer
My Device: 9000 9810

[ Edited ]

What you are wondering about is a feature called 'full duplex' (regarding audio recording/playing) as wachosky already mentioned

and this is just not possible on BB.

(Although your trick will work on simulator, unfortunately the device will not perform as you would expect)

So you can only make a PoC ('Push to talk' or 'Walkee - talkee' if you prefer) like application.

Message Edited by myraddin on 07-02-2009 09:52 AM
Message Edited by myraddin on 07-02-2009 09:52 AM

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only once"
New Developer

Hi, I am also trying to record and play the audio at a time. But here i split the tasks like, first i record the voice and send to the peer user(RTP packets). At present i am doing the 5 sec recorded output send to the peer device. But i need to send the continuous recorded voice to the peer. Is it possible to send the continuous recorded voice to peer device?

i tried but i didnt get good idea's on this.. Please help me regarding this.

Regards,

Suresh A

sureshalapati81@gmail.com