Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9530
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Preferred App Image Dimensions for v5.0.0.328

Hi all,

I'm not sure if anyone else has ran into this problem before.  I tried searching this forum and others, but no one has mentioned this yet. I have a BB Storm 9530 and just recently updated the OS to 5.0.0.328. 

The app I'm developing detects the value of HomeScreen.getPreferredIconHeight() and HomeScreen.getPreferredIconWidth() and figures out what icon to use. Based on this listing of devices and dimensions from this url

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/6625/Dimensions_for_screens_images_and_icons_4...

the dimensions for the homescreen icon for the Storm is 73x73.

The app pulled up the wrong icon with the updated OS, so I did a bit of debugging to see what changed. I discovered that the preferredIconHeight value is 70 instead of 73. I also tested this out on the 9530 simulator with 5.0.0.328, and I get the same result. I was wondering if the preferred icon dimensions changed with the new OS - if so, I'll need to update my code to accomodate the change. I haven't seen anywhere that the dimensions were modified, so maybe I'm picking up on the wrong dimensions somehow?

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Preferred App Image Dimensions for v5.0.0.328

This may have been changed and they may not have updated the link you have posted. I would suggest providing two icons or the larger of the two and perform clipping if you can.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
New Contributor

Hi Jermone,

Thanks for your suggestion. I was actually looking to see if anyone noticed the same thing I did. I emailed devsupport to see if they had any answers there.  

New Contributor

Hi,

Sorry it took me a while to reply to this.  I got a reply from BlackBerry Support about this. There was an issues with the HomeScreen.getPreferredIconHeight() method. This will be resolved in a future software release. 73x73 is the correct icon resolution.

Thanks for your help,

Shirwah