Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Problem Running Apps in Simulator - net_rim_xml not found.

I'm beginning to do some Java Development. I am running the simulator in a Windows environment using the JDE to see how code works.  (I normally run Ubuntu as my primary OS.)

I can run all the sample code just fine when my simulator is a 9500-JDE, but when I switch to a 8300-ATT-JDE-4.2 I get a message, "Source code is not available" in the java window and "Module 'net_rim_xml_org' not found. Error starting <insert application>: Module 'net_rim_xml_org' not found."

This is happening on both an XP instance (running under VirtualBox) and a Windows 7 instance.

I've installed and re-installed the JDE just to see.

I've also googled and not found any answers.

TIA

Developer

Re: Problem Running Apps in Simulator - net_rim_xml not found.

[ Edited ]

Code is forward but not backward compatible.

You are developing using JDE 4.7 I'm guessing, so you can only run the code in 4.7 or above.

To develop for a 8300 running 4.2.1 (Simulator or device), you will need JDE 4.2.1.

New Developer

Yep! I eventually figured that out. I found this post: http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800901/What_Is_-_Appr...

A bit cryptic, but it makes some sense.

Now I've loaded the 4.1.x version, but all I can find for a simulator is a blueberry. Smiley Surprised

Developer

I would recommend that you use 4.2.1.

I believe that you will find that 4.2.1 gives you a useful device by default and makes it easier than 4.1 to add new Simulators.    There are various KB articles and a number of forum entries about adding simulators to the JDE and Eclipse, so for help on that I suggest you search.  Sorry I'm not much good in this area. 

New Developer

Thank you.

4.2.1 seems to do the trick.

Now - not to hijack my own thread, but I noticed somewhere that using the JDE is now not the current trend? Is everyone moving over to Eclipse with teh plugin?