Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: 8310
My Carrier: dialog

Problem in Detecting "edge" and "EDGE" using the API

Hi All,
I have tried to detect "edge" and "EDGE" connections using CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient(CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS)
But this gives different results in different devices. Please refer the following code sample

if (DeviceInfo.isSimulator()) {      
    // Do some thing
 }else{          
   if(!CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient(CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS)){
System.out.println("No EDGE connection....)
   }else{
System.out.println("Available EDGE connection....)
   }
 }
In Blackberry 8100, above code prints "Available EDGE connection...."
But in Curve 8310 it returns "No EDGE connections..."
But in both devices, I can see Connection type as "EDGE" and both devices I can browse the internet in Blackberry browser.
Please explain this.
Thanks !!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Problem in Detecting "edge" and "EDGE" using the API

I suggest you first find out what causes the network indicator to show the network type in lower-case and upper-case. I doubt that it's in upper-case if and only if there's MDS coverage.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

afaik capital letters indicate a connection to the BES/MDS

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Upper-case network type seems to correlate much more with whether the handheld is attached to the Packet Switch part of the carrier's core network -- i.e., upper-case after GPRS Attach succeeds.

New Contributor

Yes, Upper case "EDGE" represent the MDS connection. But with upper case why "CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient(CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS)" return false?

I can browse internet with EDGE conneciton

Developer

Looks like simon_hain may have been right -- a prerequisite for upper-case network type is that the BlackBerry registers with RIM's network. I have a 2G BlackBerry with a SIM that can access the Internet over GRPS, but which doesn't have a BlackBerry data plan. The network indicator is always lower-case ("grps" or "edge") even when the BlackBerry successfully communicates with the Internet.

Developer

First of all, you need to check for BIS and MDS coverage -- if either of them is true, then the handheld is connected to RIM network infrastructure. However, there are known issues with CoverageInfo not always reporting the right status. For example, try using CoverageInfo.getCoverageStatus() instead.

Last but not least, check what happens when you are connected to RIM network infrastructure via Wi-Fi but the cellular interface is not connected to RIM network infrastructure. I wonder what RIM's indicator displays then...

New Contributor

Access the internet is not the problem here. When "EDGE"(upper case) indicates MDS services enable with the device, why

"CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient(CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS)" returns false( even with BB data plan SIM)

Highlighted
Developer

See my previous post: there are known issues with CoverageInfo not always reporting the right status. For example, try using CoverageInfo.getCoverageStatus() instead.