Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Problem on Blackberry storm 9530

[ Edited ]
In Blackberry storm 9530 I am having a problem with hovering or pointer. The application works fine in 9000, 8800, and older versions but in Storm (Tourch screen) buttons, scrolling are not working properly? When I am howering the buttons it wont light up for me to depress? I spent about 2 hours to get it just right and could press the button. Is there any other method for touchscreens or ? Any suggestion?

Thanks.
Message Edited by Raiden on 03-09-2009 11:38 PM
Developer

Re: Blackberry storm 9530 application problem

Hi,

Can you just make it little more clear to understand.

It will be of great help in understanding your problem.

Regards,

Rajat Gupta.

Regards,
Rajat Gupta.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution" and kudos - your wish
Developer

[ Edited ]

Sorry don't understand this question at all. 

What are you scrolling (remember that the touch screen does not have to scroll, focus can jump from Field to Field).

Which Fields are involved in this problem?

If you have specially created Fields, have you looked at the touchEvent method?

Edit: I see Rajat is also not clear - we posted at the same time so apologies for the duplication.

Message Edited by peter_strange on 03-09-2009 07:21 PM
Developer

What I want to know is:

Is BB device with touch screens(for ex: BB Storm 9530...) different from other BB devices like BB 8800. My application has been developed using BB simulators and it is working fine in BB devices except touch screen BBs. I have tested the application on touch screen BB simulators and it was working whitout any problems, but some users with touch screen BBs said the following: "Your application buttons are hard to press by fingers and almost impossible to use"
So now I want to know why the application buttons are not working fine on BBs with touch screen. If you guys have any clue please let me know.
Developer

Here I have developed my application using JDE 4.2.1

Developer

I've not done a great deal of Storm application development (only one app specifically for the device), so I'm sure that others will have better input.  But you might find the following useful.

As you have found the Simulator is not a perfect tool for testing Storm touchScreen,  The biggest issue for me is the finger size.  What is easy to select using a mouse is impossible for fat fingers.  For example, you will notice that the menu items and Options screen are effectively double spaced.  You need to do this to ensure that fingers can select the line that they want.  You have to do the same with buttons to make sure that they can be selected.

What I would do is, take a screen shot of your application, reduce it in size to the size of the Storm screen (about 2" * 2 3/4") and try to work it with your fingers.  You also need to consider the use of the keyboard, in my opinion, it is a pain on the Storm, even in landscape format.  And when you are using it, you loose half the screen.

I presume also that you have compiled in JDE 4.7 so your app is not running in compatibility mode.

I do have a secondary issue in that buttons do seem to be vague about whether they work.  This has not caused me a problem.  I have always avoided using buttons on applications, because they offered little functionality over the use of menu items for non touch screen devices and they reduce screen acreage.  I'm going to have to revisit this for the Storm, but in my testing with buttons, I did find that to really get a button working, you had to touch it, then press it.  Even then it didn't work all the time.  I thought this was just me, so had not investigated.  If this is what your users see, then they are not alone.

Finally, a lot of early Storms were shipped with an early OS that I believe is not that great.  If you have an early release (ends in 65), then I think the general recommendation is to upgrade.

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: blackberry tour
My Carrier: verizon

Blackberry storm 9530 touch screen problem

Hi All,

After spending days on this forums and many similar to it, I have to admit I could not find a solution to the problem I have with my Storm 9530.

I got the storm a couple of months after it was released with Verizon.

It was connected to the enterprise server, gmail & facebook. The OS version was the.75

A few months back ( 10 months after purchase) when I was traveling out of US, the phone started selecting multiple messages when moving up or down on the email screen (Outlook emails). I ignored it for a while thinking it must be my fingers. But the problem escalated when it would not select any field I wanted in emails/phonebook/numeric keypad etc.

So once I was back in US after a month, I contacted Verizon and they suggested I should upgrade the software to version 5.0, which I did. It did not solve any problem. In fact by now the phone would not respond to touch anywhere on the screen. It would click, but would not recognize the touch.

I could not make calls, send text or emails or do anything with the phone, thereby defeating the purpose of having a blackberry.

By now ( a fortnight after software upgrade) I had to take it to a Verizon store. They checked my phone and said, well you ha ve the latest software and all, but we don't know why its acting up. They then told me that since my warranty period is over I need to pay up to replace the phone. And they would replace it with the same models nd not the Storm2. Since I did not want tot take a chance again I had to upgrade to the Tour. (pay them $200+ in the process)

Now I have the tour and it works fine till now. I also have the storm with me and its now not attached to Contract.

I loved the Storm, so I wanted to see if I could do anything to make it work. Here are my problems after giving you all the background:

1. The touchscreen is still not working in majority of the areas, it works on the sides sometimes , but scrolling the screen is 70%not possible.

2. I asked Verizon if they can unlock the storm for me, but they said since its not with Verizon anymore they can't do it, as company policy.

3. I have tried the " Battery Pull" a million times and it never fixed the problems.

4. After upgrading the software the only thing that improved was the appearance of the screen.

5. On contacting the Verizon customer care again asking them if the could help me correct the phone, one person said she tried one fix on her phone which worked. i.e. go to desktop manager, hook the phone up and then remove all applications and everything on the phone after back up, then re install just the software and phone settings.

She claims to have done this procedure 5 times to get her Tour working normal. I tries it thrice but still no use.

6. I have also tried putting the business card piece behind batter , but it has improve the clicking and response on the sides, but the middle of the phone just does not respond. Like in the keypad numbers1,4,7,3,6,9*,# work but 2,5,8,0 don't work. I cannot type anything in any mode (portrait, landscape,sure type, mulittap, full keyboard).

7. I had been using a different holster with the Storm, which was meant for a Bold (GOt it as gift). Read somewhere that could messup the phone. Learnt that lesson with my Tour now, it's in it's own case.

Please do help me out, and let me know if any of you have any idea what is going on?

I hope I have given all relevant details to you all. I need to make this phone work. I don't like giving up, so I have had unprecedented patience with this matter. Is the only solution to pull the phone apart and take a look at whats happening on the inside?I don't think I need to worry about warranty , as its obvious I don't have any and also because its not on any carrier now.

Please please help me find a way out, im aware that a lot of you people are experts in the blackberry arena and may have encountered something like this.

Appreciate any help.

Regards.

New Developer
My Device: BB Storm 9530 5.0

Re: Blackberry storm 9530 touch screen problem

I have a solution for you that will solve most of your screen problems, now first off it may sound weird but trust me i did it to my phone and several others and it works very well.  First off, press each corner of the screen and see how well it clicks, prob doesnt click that well.  Ok, now get a buissness card or an index card and cut and shape it to the size of your battery.  Now, take out your battery and place1 to 2 pieces (I have 2) under your battery but not 3, 3 is bad for the horrible for the swivel in the phone,  put your battery back in, close it up, wait for it to boot up and see how the corners feel now, the difference is unbelievable, browsers, and typing is so much easier now.  If this did in fact help you out please let me know beacause everyone should do this to their storm 1.

p.s. storm 2 users dont bother they fixed this problem with the releasse of your phone.

Visitor
My Device: 9530
My Carrier: touch screen

thank you very much bro

the way you teach is very useful

once again thank you very much

Visitor
My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

It did'nt work for me. The screen responds in some point but not in many others. I am frustrated, don't know what to do more. Please help.