Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 8520 Curve Smartphone
My Carrier: -

Problem with Long ChoiceGroup Labels

Hi everyone,

I have developed my application in Java ME, and I am testing it on BlackBerry Emulator. I have not used any BlackBerry APIs. In my application I have used ChoiceGroups, some of them have very long labels, may be of 2 lines or more.

The forms on which these labels are smaller than 1 line, that form behaves properly, but the forms on whic the choiceGroup Labels are longer, that form behaves abnormally.

1. It doesnt shows the complete label - I mean, if it is not accomodating in the one line, remaining part should go on next line. But it doesnt.

2. On the forms where the ChoiceGroups have long labels, the commands are not vissible on center scrollable touch button of the BB emulator [Emulator for 8530, 8520 touch], instead those commands go to the index button which is besides the center scrollable touch button.

3. If I break the long line from somewhere in the middle, then it shows the complete label on two lines, but in this case, my first choiceGroup element doesnt appear.

I think, you got my point what I am trying to explain. Ask me if you want to know more about the problem. If you have any idea about this, please guide me.

Developer

Re: Problem with Long ChoiceGroup Labels

Is it a known problem, if anybody have experienced before? OR Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Please help me. Best Regards.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Hi!

When you say about commands do you talking about context menu on scroll button and full menu on menu button?

Developer

ChoiceField entries are, in my experience, only ever displayed on one line.

Developer

Thanks for replying, The commands I mean like OK Commands, Item commands, Back Commands, Cancel Commands etc. These commands are vissible on scrolling the Track Ball [in my 8530 it is touch scroll button] in upward direction or pressing it, as well as on pressing the Menu Key. But when on a particular form where I have used the ChoiceGroup with a long Lable, the commands are vissible only on pressing the Menu Key, and not on the touch scroll button. I hope you got me now. Please ask me if you want more information about the problem. Please help me. Thanks and Regards.

Developer

Yes, it is okay if my ChoiceGroup Elements are vissible in only one lines, but the ChoiceGroup Label should be vissible completely, so that user can read the complete question, and then accordingly select any one element by selecting that perticular radio button. For eg:

ChoiceGropupLabel: QUESTION 1: What is ..........................................very long question, not accomodate in a single line, but should show completely in two or more lines......................................................................?

ChoiceGroupElement 1: (radio button) YES

ChoiceGroupElement 2: (radio button) NO

ChoiceGroupElement 3: (radio button) DONT KNOW

I want to show the Question completely, which my ChoiceGroup Label. Please guide me, if you have any idea. If it is not possible [isn't it strange!], please suggest me ideas. Thanks and Best Regards.

Developer

When I have to do this, I generally display two Fields.  The first Field is something like a RichTextField, which I make not focusable, the second Field is the ChoiceField.  This means (because I generally use a VerticalFieldManager) that the choices are on the line below the 'label' but that is better than having a truncated label. 

Developer

Thanks Peter, I dont know where is the RichTextField, do you mean just the TextField? I am not using BlackBerry API, just to inform you. I am not getting it exactly, but tried to understand, as below:

First use the text field without focusable, and set the long question as a label to this text field, which will show my complete questions in 2 or 3 lines. Then below that use the choice group which will not have any label, but only choice elements.

Do you mean like this?

Please guide me. Thanks and regards.

Developer

Ahh.  Sorry.  I was assuming you were using RIM's Fields.  If you are writing a Midlet, then ignore everything I have sad.  Sorry, I don't do Midlets. 

Highlighted
Developer

No Probs Peter, Thanks.

Isn't it strange behaviour? I thought, as I am not using any BlackBerry specific API, so I am getting such abnormal behaviour. But as per your reply, even if you use BlackBerry API, then also you have to do it indirectly as you specified. right?

anyways, Best Regards

If anybody have experienced the same and have solution, please guide me. Best Regards.