Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Profiling with Eclipse plugin

I am sure I won't be the first one to ask, but searching the forums did not help for some reason. 

Is there profiling tool in Eclipse plugin (I am using the 1.1 version)  not the JDE, I don't want to go to JDE every time I need to profile a project.

If there is, how do I get to it, I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Developer

Re: Profiling with Eclipse plugin

[ Edited ]

ok, I think I found it in views, but I don't see there any information and the view is closing every time I restart/close the simulator and I can't make it stick. 

Can someone please give quick but basic introduction (or point me to the right direction) on how to use the profiling tool.

P.S. funny thing, when I tried to search how to use the profiling tool, after I found it but couldn't use it, I got this post on Google. Working quick these guys Smiley Happy It's been like only 10-20 minutes since I posted it.

Developer

Ok, so I found a document that explains the steps, so I thought I'd put them here for the community.

Specify Profiler options
1.On the Window menu, click Show View > Other.
2.Expand the BlackBerry folder.
3.Select BlackBerry Profiler View.
4.Click OK.

Specify Profiler options

1.On the Window menu, click Show View > Other.

2.Expand the BlackBerry folder.

3.Select BlackBerry Profiler View.

4.Click OK.

Generate Profiler data

1.Specify a breakpoint at the beginning and end of the section you want to profile.

2.On the Run menu, click Debug As > BlackBerry Simulator Application.

3.In the BlackBerry® Smartphone Simulator, run the application. The debugging tool pauses the application when it reaches the first breakpoint.

4.On the Window menu, click Show View > Other.

5.Expand the BlackBerry folder.

6.Select BlackBerry Profiler View.

7.Click OK.

8.In the profile pane, click Options.

9.Select the type of method attribution, a sorting method, and the type of information to profile.

10.Click OK.

11.On the Run menu, click Debug As > BlackBerry Simulator Application.

12.In the BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator, run the application. The debugging tool pauses the application when it reaches the second breakpoint.

13.If the profile pane is not visible, on the Window menu, click Show View > Other, expand the BlackBerry folder, select BlackBerry Profiler View.

14.On the File menu, click Refresh. Profile data is retrieved from the BlackBerry JVM. Profiler data is not cleared, so running a program again adds to the data.

•Use profile views to view information about the section of code that you just ran.

15.On the File menu, click Save to save the contents of the profile pane to a comma separated values (.csv) file.

Generate Profiler data

1.Specify a breakpoint at the beginning and end of the section you want to profile.

2.On the Run menu, click Debug As > BlackBerry Simulator Application.

3.In the BlackBerry® Smartphone Simulator, run the application. The debugging tool pauses the application when it reaches the first breakpoint.

4.On the Window menu, click Show View > Other.

5.Expand the BlackBerry folder.

6.Select BlackBerry Profiler View.

7.Click OK.

8.In the profile pane, click Options.

9.Select the type of method attribution, a sorting method, and the type of information to profile.

10.Click OK.

11.On the Run menu, click Debug As > BlackBerry Simulator Application.

12.In the BlackBerry Smartphone Simulator, run the application. The debugging tool pauses the application when it reaches the second breakpoint.

13.If the profile pane is not visible, on the Window menu, click Show View > Other, expand the BlackBerry folder, select BlackBerry Profiler View.

14.On the File menu, click Refresh. Profile data is retrieved from the BlackBerry JVM. Profiler data is not cleared, so running a program again adds to the data.

•Use profile views to view information about the section of code that you just ran.

15.On the File menu, click Save to save the contents of the profile pane to a comma separated values (.csv) file.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 (White)
My Carrier: Vodafone

Many thanks for this. Just a small thing, unless I'm mistaken the 'Generate Profiler data' section is repeated unneccessarily.