Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Programmatically determine if micro sd card encryption is enabled

I am creating code that needs to require that the micro sd card has encryption enabled on it.

So I need to programmatically determine that it is enabled, and if it is not then my app needs to exit.

1) Is there a way to tell?

It would be best if there were a way to tell which of the 3 types of encryption is enabled.

2) If there isn't a way, then is there a way to make sure that the BES set a policy that tells the BlackBerry that micro sd card encryption must be enabled? 

Thank You

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Programmatically determine if micro sd card encryption is enabled

Unfortunately, there is no mechanism in place today to allow you to determine whether the contents of the SD card are encrypted nor can you determine whether an IT policy is in place to force encryption of the SD card on the device.

That said, the encryption on the SD card is intended to secure the contents of the SD card when removed from the device.  The user would have full access to all of the contents on the SD card and would be able to copy the files off the SD card via USB Mass Storage without encryption. 

It is for this reason that we have simply implemented the encryption in the API itself (JSR-75) rather than exposing APIs for it.  If you consider your content to need additional security, I would encourage you to encrypt the content yourself leveraging the Crypto APIs on the device.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations