Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8310
My Carrier: Ingenieur

Programming application to synchronize Lotus domino with BlackBerry

[ Edited ]

Hi ;

i'am novice in programming applications for the blackBerry smartphone ,i have to develop an application wich can synchronize the bases .NSF in the Domino Server with the base Locale in the blackBerry ,i must programm how to connect to this server ,how to open thes bases .NSF in the balachBerry ,my organization oblige me to develop with the Websphere studio device developpement ( product IBM).

so i have a lot of questions can you hepl me:

1- how can i test my programs ,are there any plug-in for websphere studio .

2- i will developp with J2ME ,however ,i find " balackBerry theme studio " wich can help me to have a nice interface ,so how can i use it for my developpement J2ME with the IDE websphere.

3-Can you give me documentation or any thing to have just a idea of programing "syncronization with the Domino server "

4-i dawnload the setup of blackBerry theme studio " but if i try to install it ,il give me a message " Selectionner un autre dossier cible pour les fichiers à extraire", i select a folder but without any result.

can you help me pleazzzz :

thank to you ;

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Programming application to synchronize Lotus domino with BlackBerry

your first thought should be about the access from your blackberry to the notes. doesn't notes feature integrated webservices?

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Trusted Contributor

No ,notes are data of document  ,each base have the exension .NSF ,if we open the .NSF we open all over the fonctions of the application. so i order to open these bases i must try to connect to the server Domino ,how can i do it with J2ME ?

thanks to you

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

nsf files are the notes database files.

if you open them with a notes client they will open in this client.

if you open them with a browser the server will provide html content to show them.

a blackberry browser will have difficulties rendering the nsf browser display.

that means you have to find another way, for example using webservices.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I am not sure I completely understood your questions but our organization uses a lot of Notes applications, some of which I have mobilized, so this is an area I am comfortable with.

I don't believe there is a plugin for websphere but you can configure it to do your dev all the same.  Don't ask me how because I use Eclipse but I have seen threads on that topic if you search.

On the web dev for BlackBerry front i have optimized the web display of a Notes application so that is certainly a posssibility.  Basically going this route is much the same as any sort of web dev for BB except using the Notes designer to format the screens.

On the Java front it really doesn't matter a whole lot if it is Notes or any other data source.  Once you have configured your web services or push or whatever the BlackBerry doesn't care a whole lot (authentication may be an issue depending upon the situation).  I have the luxury of being, for the most part, able to build for BB version 4.5+ so I make use of Sun's Wireless Toolkit rather than KSOAP2 but they both have their up and downsides.  You will want to keep in mind the version of Notes you are using because if you are building your web services in Notes there are things to consider.  For example, in Notes v7 you need to be careful of arrays because if you don't code them in a certain way the WTK will not be able to process them.  If you have v8 all the better.  I have coded web services in both Java and LotusScript but these days I pretty much just use Java.

Hopefuly that answered some of your questions but if not let me know and I will see what I can do.

Trusted Contributor

First i want to thank you for your explanation ,it was very import,in order to give me a  general idea of  this hard subject;

i will explan to you what is it exacteley:

The application must provide the ability to connect to a Domino server to manage remote bases notes.
This client will allow us to:
Carry out various manipulations on Local NSF database.
Carry out various manipulations on the foundations located on the Domino server.
Making the replication mode push and pull.

I 'am sure,that you have manipulated Lotus notes Client 8.5 to send messages ,to open bases contacts ...

So the application  is to do the same thing as the CLIENT Lotus Notes instaled on the windows OS.but this time with the BlackBerry palatforme .

thanks;

Developer

With apologies, I don't completely understand you but I will give it my best guess.  If I have misinterpreted let me know.

My understanding is that you have Notes applications sitting on a domino server and you would like to have a BlackBerry application that can interact with the data.  Sound about right?  Pretty normal scenario if so.

Just to be clear, you can not put an NSF onto a BlackBerry, you will have to build a separate application in Java with its own data storage.  It will communicate with the Notes application, probably via web services, and send data back and forth.  The data on the BlackBerry could be stored using one of a few different ways of storing data peristently on the device.  These ways of storing data are with RIM persistent objects, using RMS, using files or with a third party SQL based system (of which I have no real experience but I expect there is a cost involved).  I believe, depending upon the scenario, most people use the RIM peristent objects although the others are still valid and possibly more appropriate depending upon the scenario.

When you refer to opening the contacts do you mean the Notes NAB?  Your organization is probably already configured (or could easily be) to synch the personal NABs of users with their devices and the email address lookups with your NAB so I wouldn't look for a custom solution for that unless you keep your Notes NAB separate from your corporate directory.

You are lucky if you are up to Notes 8.5 as your web services functionality in Notes gets far better as of 8.

Hope that helps.

Trusted Contributor

yes exactly, it must firstly have a local replica ( Copie ) on the Blackberry and then open bases in the blackberry notes, manipulate theses base finally  synchronize, the update performs in local base is supported in databases that are in Domino,in the end we must have the same changes ,if we change some thing in blackBerry we must  find it in domino ,and if we change in domino we must find it in local base in blackBerry  what is the role of web service for me ?i don't understand you .how can i use it ?

Highlighted
Developer

With the exception of synching email/calendar type data I am not aware of any other built in synchronization functionality between Notes and BlackBerry.  This built in synchronization is synchronizing just the data and not between two replicas.  There is no possibility of making a replica of a Notes (nsf) application on a BlackBerry device because BlackBerry does not support this.

If you wish to mobilize a Notes application you need to build some sort of application on the BlackBerry device rather than try to create a replica of an nsf on the device.  This new application could be as simple as displaying a domino based website optimized for BlackBerry on the BlackBerry Browser of the device or else you could build a Java application if you require more functionality and control. 

If you go the route of a website then just think of the BlackBerry browser as any other Browser one of your users might be using except that the website needs to be optimized to be displayed on a mobile device (that is oversimplifying it but good enough to make the point). 

Should you go the route of Java then you have to build a whole new non-Notes application using Java that will likely perform a subset of your Notes based functionality on the device.  This new application will reside on the BlackBerry and is in no way related  to a Notes nsf.  This application will need to be able to communicate with the Notes based application to transfer data back and forth and that is usually done with web services (there is other ways but with Notes using web services is easiest).