Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Push : Java or MDS Studio?

Hi,

I've already posted this question on the MDS Studio forum but the Java community is bigger so that's why I will post here too :

"I am currently working on an application that allows managers to approve/reject requests. I'd like to implement push functionnalities to either display a new icon on the device (linked to the MDS application) or push the request to the user when a new request is created in the backend.

I guess the application has to be started in order to allow push and I think MDS Studio apps can't run in the background. So what would be the best way to implement this? Run a Java app in the background to handle push and launch the MDS Studio app?"

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Push : Java or MDS Studio?

The push functionality is similar for both applications.  However a Java application has more options for what it can do to let a user know that a push has arrived since it can actively run in the background.

MDS Runtime Applications can prompt a user to let them know that data has arrived, however no further actions can be taken until the user opens the application.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker