Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Push application doesn't work : packaging / installation issue?

Hi,

I've created a small Java application to handle MDS push (RIM push) on my device. It is supposed to run as a module and start when the device starts. It should create a new notification profile and listn for push data. Then it should display a popup containing the data that has been pushed and the user should be notified.

This application works fine on the simulators, the profile is created, the push data is displayed and the user is notified. However the application doesn't work on the real device/server. The push request seems to be ok (checked with a network sniffer) but nothing happens on the device. The profile is not created.

I've requested signing keys, generated an alx file and installed the application on the device with the Desktop Manager. How can I check if the application is properly installed and if it's autostarted and running when I push data?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Push application doesn't work : packaging / installation issue?

You can connect your BlackBerry to the BlackBerry JDE to see what is happening within your application.  You can set some break points and/or make use of System.out.println calls.  To debug on a real BlackBerry handheld connect the BlackBerry to your PC using USB and then in the BlackBerry JDE select the Debug menu, then Attach To, Handheld and then choose your PIN.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

Thanks Mark. I have installed the application on my device using javaloader and attached the JDE to my device.

I've checked Debug > Breakpoint > On startup and When any exception is thrown. And it seems I got an exception :

Debug output :

CMM : PushClient(1843) no sig from 0x33

Exception thrown :

value : @51732000

type : unknown(net_rim_cldc-1,52)

Any idea?

The "no sig from 0x33" is a standard message that is shown for all third party applications.  It means the application has not been signed with the "3" key, which is a RIM internal key used to identify applications created by RIM.  It should not cause an exception.

Note that the break when any exception is thrown breaks on all exceptions, regardless of whether or not they came from your application.  So a halt on this setting does not mean an error or exception was thrown by your application.

Mark Sohm

Developer

Yes Mark, I've noticed this so I've deactivated break on all exceptions.

I've set a breakpoint in my main() and when I launch the application on the simulator (os 4.5.0.44) it stops when the breakpoint is reached. However when I launch the application on the real device it doesn't. It looks like my application is not even started. Or the application doesn't stop because the .debug files are missing? I was not able to find/download a simulator with the same os version (4.5.0.37 on my 8310) so I don't have the .debug files. I'm using JDE 4.5.0 by the way.

If you don't have matching .debug files break points may not work.  You can work around that by adding some System.out.println statements and watching/sarching for them in the BlackBerry JDE's Output window.  These will be shown regardless of whether or not the .debug files are present.
Mark Sohm

Developer

It's ok now. I hadn't realized you need to sign the application each time you build it...

Thanks Mark.