Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Push from BES does not work on "Application" reliability mode.

What I'm trying to do is, have a C# application that does PUSH, to a client BB device - with some byte data, where a java application is running to receive the push.

I need the PUSH messages to be received on BB Java application - guaranteed.

I have been able to successfully do this with "TRANSPORT" reliability mode. but whenever I change it to "APPLICATION" reliability mode (or "Confirmed" PAP push) PUSH fails with error message : "The specified delivery method is not possible"

One symptom difference between "Confirmed PAP Push" and "APPLICATION RIM Push" seems like on RIM push, the Http POST operation for Push request fails right away - on C# application, whereas for PAP push, POST works fine, and it just fails in BES somewhere, and logs with the message.

I have already looked into, and checked everything in following article:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800662/Support...

Also seen another article:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/client-server-push-gt-PushServlet-FAILED-06-...

and checked my ports...

I even did a firewall trace on my BES server (MDS/Routing) to see - and there is nothing rejected.

Reliable PUSH ports has been configured in "BlackBerry MDS Connection Service" configuration, as well as rimpublic.property file.

Devices are blackberry bold, running 4.6, (platform: 4.0.0.155)

BES server is 4.1+

I did browse internet using the blackberry device, using BlackBerry browser.

Application on BB is definately listening on correct port - as it works fine when it's using "TRANSPORT" reliability mode.

and lastly, I am using MDSPushInputStream class to receive incoming data.

Is there anything else I could check? Do?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

Developer

Re: Push from BES does not work on "Application" reliability mode.

I'm not sure whether this applies, but I hazily recall there was something about BES/MDS not knowing whether the device supports application-level reliability. I think the BES/MDS gets to know this once the device makes an HTTP (or may be any socket) request via the MDS. Please take this with a huge pinch of salt though.

New Developer

yes, I've read about that as well.

isn't going to some website using BlackBerry browser enough? or is there some special request that needs to be sent? 

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: 2063103963

Hi James;

I'm having exactly the same problem.  Did you ever get this resolved?

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks much.

ShaunB...