Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Query regarding System Design

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I need to make an application which has the following requirements:

1. The application starts off with a mainscreen which should have a list of , say Supermarkets.I am assuming I need to use ListField for this purpose (is my assumption correct?).
  2. When a user selects a Supermarket, say KMart from the List, I want to show a List of Departments of that Supermarket.
  3. Selecting a Department from the List should show a List of products in the Department.
  4. Selecting a Product should show Product Details.
  5. During all this navigation i need to show a tab bar right at the bottom of the screen. The tabs will be used to access various functionality of the app such as the search tab which can be used to search for a specific supermarket or a product. This tab bar is to be visible at all times.
  6. I'll use SqlLite as the DB (wise decision or not?).

So that's the scenario. Thanks for bearing with me till now. Now, here are the questions:

• Can I push just a part of the screen, i.e. the part that has the list, and not the whole screen? I ask this because I don't want the tab bar below to dissapear no matter what.

• Or, do I need to divide the screen into two Managers , one for the tab bar at the bottom and the other one for the main content where the Lists will be shown and whenever a list item is selected, I need to remove the current list and add the subsequent list? Is that the right approach?

If anyone has any suggestions as to how this problem is to be approached I'll be waiting eagerly to read them.

Much Obliged.

Developer
My Device: Storm

Re: Query regarding System Design

Hello,

My comments:

1. The application starts off with a mainscreen which should have a list of , say Supermarkets.I am assuming I need to use ListField for this purpose (is my assumption correct?).

->Yes, you can use listfield. I often use FlowFieldManagers with some extended fields to create a different way to display information.

2,3,4->ok

5. this can be achieved adding your "tab field" as status (use setStatus on your mainscreen).

6. If you use sqllite you are targeting users with OS 5.x, if thats the case is ok.

About your questions:

-> If you use setStatus as I mentioned tab bar wont dissapear.

If in some case you dont want the header dissapear, use setTitle. using setTitle and setStatus your content will be in the middle. If you scroll the listfield the title and the status will remain in their place.

Perhaps other developers have different ideas Smiley Happy

-Luis Fernando

Remember to give Kudos(click on the star at your left) if this helped you.
Click on "Accept Solution" if the problem is resolved.
Espanol? Escribeme un mensaje privado.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Dear LuisFernando,

Thanks for your comments. I'd love to know how you manage to use FlowFieldManagers to display the information. From what I understand, you are suggesting that I use setStatus() and Push whatever screen I want to and that would not disrupt the visibility of the tab field?

Once again thanks for your valuable comments. Really appreciate it.

Much Obliged.

Developer
My Device: Storm

Hello Tobias,

FlowFieldManager is just like any other manager, 

FlowFieldManager ffm = new FlowFieldManager();

And the you add your fields into it. If you are ok with your skills extending fields, I think that is the way to go. If not, I suggest you to keep it basic using ListFields since is easier to handle.

About the setStatus, you dont push screen on status, you add fields. For example, If you want buttons on the bottom part of the screen then you can create a new HorizontalFieldManager, add some buttons on it and then set the HorizontalFieldManager you created as the status for that window.

If you need further assistance let me know.

-Luis Fernando

Remember to give Kudos(click on the star at your left) if this helped you.
Click on "Accept Solution" if the problem is resolved.
Espanol? Escribeme un mensaje privado.