Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

RUSH - I need to monitor the signal strength of a Blackberry from a PC

I need to write a small app (using VB.NET if possible) to connect to a Blackberry Bold, and retrieve the signal strength at regular intervals and store it.

I installed the "BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13).msi" driver on my PC running Windows XP.

In my USB bus controlers, I see "Téléphone BlackBerry Intelligent" (Blackberry smarphone).

In my serial ports, I see "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM14)".

From what I read on the NET I should be able to open this serial port at 115200 bauds using the Hyperterminal program and type in AT commands, to get results.  The "AT+CSQ" is supposed to return the current signal strength (1-30 or 99 for no signal).

Currently when I open this serial port and try different AT commands, I never get any results.

Am I using the right baud rate?  Am I doing something wrong?

Once I get the AT commands to work properly, I plan to write a small VB.NET application that will query the signal strength every 15 seconds and store it into a small database, along with the current GPS location, to map out coverage of a remote trail in the forest.

I am opened to any suggestions on how to make this work.

Thanks

Developer

Re: RUSH - I need to monitor the signal strength of a Blackberry from a PC

You are going to write an VB application that gets the current signal strength and GPS location of a device that is tethered to your PC with a USB cable?

To do this with a device that actually leaves your office, you'll probably need to write a Java application that runs on the device, and reports this information to a server application using HTTP.

New Contributor

No my solution is a lot simpler.

On my ATV, I carry a ruggerdized tablet PC running Windows XP.

My VB.NET application already gets its current latitude / longitude from a Garmin 60CX on my ATV.

I connect my Blackberry to the computer using a USB cable, at every 15 seconds my program need to read the current GPS position, then query the signal strength of the phone using the AT+CSQ command and log this information to a file.

Later on, I process the store information to generate a coverage map for ATV trails.

Anyone actually managed to use AT commands (like a modem) on a BlackBerry phone, I read it can be done, for some reason it is not working for me.

Developer

[ Edited ]

"at every 15 seconds my program need to read the current GPS position"

You are assuming that there is a way for you to query, using a modem type command, that the device supply you with the infomation.  I have not seen (but have not looked to be honest) any documentation that suggests that this is possible. 

My immediate reaction, is that the only modem commands that the BlackBerry would support are those related to connecting to the network.  So to get this data, I think you will need to connect to an application that is running on the device and have it pass the informatin back to you.  I recommend that you review the USBDemo samples that are supplied with the development tool kit. 

Dr9
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: TELUS

Sure, use Java to solve your problem...

now you have TWO problems. Smiley Happy

Dr9
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: TELUS

jackrabbit1962 wrote:

I need to write a small app (using VB.NET if possible) to connect to a Blackberry Bold, and retrieve the signal strength at regular intervals and store it.

I installed the "BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13).msi" driver on my PC running Windows XP.

In my USB bus controlers, I see "Téléphone BlackBerry Intelligent" (Blackberry smarphone).

In my serial ports, I see "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM14)".

From what I read on the NET I should be able to open this serial port at 115200 bauds using the Hyperterminal program and type in AT commands, to get results.  The "AT+CSQ" is supposed to return the current signal strength (1-30 or 99 for no signal).

Currently when I open this serial port and try different AT commands, I never get any results.

Am I using the right baud rate?  Am I doing something wrong?

Once I get the AT commands to work properly, I plan to write a small VB.NET application that will query the signal strength every 15 seconds and store it into a small database, along with the current GPS location, to map out coverage of a remote trail in the forest.

I am opened to any suggestions on how to make this work.

Thanks

I will download the USB drivers and have a look.  .Net base libraries include a serial port interface component - (never used it but I've seen it there)  Your idea will work, maybe use compact SQL.  For GPS location if your host device doesn't have one built in there are inexpensive USB GSP devices available..  

New Contributor

For the GPS I am OK, I use the GarXface library to access the realtime position, obtained from my Garmin 60cx connected on the USB port.

Thanks for all your help

New Contributor

Were you able to get any results with this?

Thanks!

New Contributor

Finally I got it to work!

I installed the Blackberry Desktop Manager and leave it running on the background, which creates a virtual COM port on my PC.

Then I wrote a VB.NET program which reads the current GPS position from my Garmin 60CX and queries the signal strength from the Blackberry using Franson's serial tools DLL.

It works very well, I can grab and store the signal strength from my phone along with the latitude and longitude every 2 seconds.

New Contributor

What do you do with the information that you are collecting?