Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Reading MP3 ID3 Tags and/or entire MP3 library

Hi Gang,

I'm porting an app I worte on iPhone to BB and I need to display a list of all of the MP3s in the user's phone to a "picker" screen like that in the built in media app on the Torch. On iPhone this is very simple to do and then extracting the ID3 tags (artist, song, etc.) is similarly simple.

Of course, little is simple on the BB and I am having little luck finding any analogs to the above.

Closest I come is the FilePicker which is very 1999 for picking tunes. And reading ID3 tags seems to be a nasty process of loading the Player with every file in the library and then running the MetaDataControl interface against this.

My other option seems to be to write my own MP3 file parser, which really isn't in the schedule/budget for the app.

Am I missing some uber helpful class that makes this all happen magically?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Reading MP3 ID3 Tags and/or entire MP3 library

Just type ID3 into the search bar and you'll get a list.

Here is a post where I pasted code to get the album artwork from an MP3:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/how-to-retrieve-ID3-art-Image-from-an-mp3-fi...

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.