Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Recommended memory usage limits

Hi,

We have calculated what our app uses 525kb of working set RAM, under a certain test. Can anyone tell me if that would be considered high memory usage on the BlackBerry platform or acceptable?

Cheers

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Recommended memory usage limits

Since we have applications that take that amount of space just in code files alone, without considering working storage, and this code works OK on devices as old as the 7290, I would say that you shouldn't worry about it too much. 

What I find kills performance is not the amount of storage, but how dynamic it is.  Avoiding object creation and deletion (i.e. getting the Garbage Collection running), is probably as important as the quantity of memory used.  Use the Profile and Object windows in the JDE to check this out.

You should probably consider implementing a Low Memory Manager just in case your storage does cause stress on a BlackBerry.  You will find a number of references to this in the documentation, and a new video about it here:

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=LowMemoryManager

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Recommended memory usage limits

As far as I know there is no official recomendations in this case.

Different devices behave in different manner when there is low memory state.

And please note that size of cod file is not the size of consumed memory.

It is possible to create 10 kb cod file that consumes 1 Gb of Blackberry Bold RAM space.

To avoid such problems check the link: Blackberry Memory Best Practices Book