Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Requirements for using GPS, Camera, Networking by third party applications?

Hello,

I am developing a Java ME application which will go on different BB models with GPS and camera. Currently I am testing the software on a Verizon 8130 pearl and am not able to get the device GPS info or take any pictures using my application because Verizon has disabled it calling the APIs for these, secured apis. I would like to know:

1. What are the requirements for the GPS, Camera and other APIs to work on BB with different providers--Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint/Nextel, AT&T etc?

2. I also read that I need to apply and get a signed root certificate from RIM and then apply to the different providers each of which has a different policy for either providing a certificate or a  process for certifiying third party apps. Can anyone who knows about this share the process. I have also found out that Verizon does not want any third party apps on its phones or only needs it if the app can generate it lots of money when used so they effectively drag out the certification process and small companies have no chance of obtaining a certification for their apps. Can someone knowledgeable about this talk about this too? Thanks.

3. Please detail the process in a step by step fashion so that it is useful.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Requirements for using GPS, Camera, Networking by third party applications?

Verizon disables autonomous GPS mode on everything except the Storm. You'll need to apply for "Verizon developer" status to get the PDE info in order to utilize their "assist" mode.

T-Mobile and AT&T allow autonomous GPS, but AT&T removes BB Maps from their deck.

If you are serious about developing for the BB platform,  you should go ahead and get keys. It is quick and painless.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev/codekeys.jsp