Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9000, Curve 8310
Accepted Solution

Reusing code signing keys across machines

Hi,

I'm trying to move my code signing keys from a machine with JDE 4.2.1 to a different machine running JDE 4.1.0.

Is this possible?  I copied over my sigtool.csk and sigtool.db files.  But, when I try to sign a .cod file, it gives me a password error - and, I know that the password is correct.

Sure, I could generate a new key pair and pay $20 to get signing keys for it, but I should be able to copy my keys around, right?

Has anyone else been able to successfully copy their signing keys to another machine?  I need to downgrade from JDE 4.2.1 to 4.1.0 - are keys not backwards-compatible across JDE versions and their corresponding SignatureTool.jar's?

Help, please!  :-)

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Reusing code signing keys across machines

Using signature keys on multiple PCs is not supported.  If you wish to move your signature keys from one PC to another you can contact devsupport@rim.com who can send you a replacement set of csi files you can install on the new PC.  Note that this process invalidates your existing keys.
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
New Developer
My Device: Bold 9000, Curve 8310

Thanks for responding, Mark.  So, if I want to be able to sign from two separate machines, I need to pay for two sets of keys?  Okay, not great, but at $20/ea, it's not unreasonable.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

i still waiting for this question... i have 2 desktop computers (at home and office) and 1 laptop.., if i paid $20, does it mean that i should coding on one of our desktop or laptop ?, if i paid for my laptop, does it mean that i can't keep my works on desktop computers ? $20 is a lot for me ...

Kukuh TW

Developer

as I understand it, u can't sign ur code on different PCs using single set of keys.
New Developer

thanks Dinu,

does it mean that i have to buy all (code signing keys) for each different computers/pc ?

i am looking this information at developer knowledge base, and i can't find it... do you have refference url about this

Developer

yes, you will have to purchase  seperate  key sets for each pc u want to enable code signing. You can request a new key set for a different pc, but that will invalidate your earlier key set. sorry, I dont know any articles abt this. I uderstood this from Mark's post earlier in this thread.
New Developer

I just received my set of key from RIM, and installed them on the machine in my Office. On I'd like to do singing thing at Home, can I simply copy the following files in JDE bin

1. sigtool.csk

2. sigtool.db

3. sigtool.set

to home to use the signing tool from Home. is that behavior supported by RIM, or will RIM block my key for I'm doing this? Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: Claro Codetel

Could you keys for many devices(PIN) . The question is beacuase when i filled the form i had to specify the PIN.

New Developer
New Developer
My Device: dev alpha c (bb10)
My Carrier: www.rzr.online.fr