Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Mobile
Accepted Solution

Running Blackberry Simulator: IllegalArgumentException

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Recently I had to reinstall Eclipse and I when I try to run the simulator from eclipse I get this error:

Unable to start simulator. Check that file exists.

(java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Executable name has embedded quote, split the arguments)

If I open the plugin's folder and run "fledge.exe" from there the Simulator opens. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Thanks for your guidance,

Ben

Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Videocon

Re: Running Blackberry Simulator: IllegalArgumentException

I have same problem.

tried many solutions, but not success.

Anyone help us.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

maybe an issue with the installation path?
the error message mentions "Embedded quote", look for that.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Been away from BB Java development for quite a while I stumbled over this issue too.

I've not done much testing but what seems to fix the issue for me was the following

Open the settings window for your debug configurations, select the Simulator tab and within this, the Advanced tab (with the commandlines for the simulators).

Check the Use customized command options and remove the double quotes around the .exe (I removed the ones around app=".....Jvm.dll" too).

It probably only works as long as your paths don't include any whitespaces, so if that's not the case with your installation you may have to delete/reinstall your eclipse installation (given eclipse doesn't really "install" anything you may even get away with renaming/move your installation folder)

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

I ended up reinstalling Eclipse in "C:\Eclipse\" rather than "C:\Program Files\Eclipse\" because of the white space in "Program Files". Works fine now! @Nelvin I'm sure your solution works equally well.

Thank you,

Ben