Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: mobitel

SMS API send problem for some carriers

[ Edited ]

Some time ago we come across a problem, that the SMS messages, that we send through our application, doesn't come to the destination number.

We investigate that at our carrier (Si.mobil Slovenia (Vodafone)), that provided us with some traffic trace at their end.

The trace:

0036 Closed                    SendRoutingInfoForSM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------              
 Octet001  SigTran                Count=000001 Time=08/14/2012 14:55:01:147                   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------              
 00000011  Protocol type          (3) SS7                                                     
 Octet002  ITU-T SS7                                                                          
 ........  Stream ID              1                                                           
 ........  Stream Sequence Num    35412                                                       
 ........  SU Type/length         (74) MSU74                                                   
 0000000.  Spare                  0                                                           
Octet018  SCCP Called Party Address parameter                                                                                                                     
     00001011  Parameter length       11                                                                                                                         
     .......0  Sgnl pt code bit       (0) SPC not present                                                                                                        
     ......1.  Subsystem # bit        (1) SSN present                                                                                                             
     ..0100..  Global title ind       (4) Global title incl. translation type, numbering plan, encoding scheme & addr nature                                     
     .0......  Routing bit            (0) Global title based routing                                                                                             
     0.......  Reserved natl use      0                                                                                                                           
     00000110  Subsystem number       (6) HLR      Home Location Register                                                                                        
     00000000  Translation            (0) unknown                                                                                                                 
     ....0001  Encoding scheme        (1) BCD odd                                                                                                                
     0001....  Numbering plan         (1) ISDN (Telephony) numbering plan (Rec. E.164/E.163)                                                                     
     .0000100  Nature of address      (4) International number                                                                                                    
     0.......  Spare                  0                                                                                                                          
     ........  Address signals        38640XXXXXX    //<- ***the destination number***                                                                                                            
     0000....  Filler                 0                                                                                                                          
     Octet030  SCCP Calling Party Address parameter                                                                                                              
     00001010  Parameter length       10                                                                                                                          
     .......0  Sgnl pt code bit       (0) SPC not present                                                                                                        
     ......1.  Subsystem # bit        (1) SSN present                                                                                                            
     ..0100..  Global title ind       (4) Global title incl. translation type, numbering plan, encoding scheme & addr nature                                      
     .0......  Routing bit            (0) Global title based routing                                                                                             
     0.......  Reserved natl use      0                                                                                                                           
     00001000  Subsystem number       (8) MSC      Mobile Switching Centre                                                                                       
     00000000  Translation            (0) unknown                                                                                                                
     ....0010  Encoding scheme        (2) BCD even                                                                                                                
     0001....  Numbering plan         (1) ISDN (Telephony) numbering plan (Rec. E.164/E.163)                                                                     
     .0000100  Nature of address      (4) International number                                                                                                   
     0.......  Spare                  0                                                                                                                           
     ........  Address signals        9613488896      //<- ***the origin number (SMS center in Lebanon?)***                                                                                                         

Octet056  TCAP Error Code                                                                                                                                       
     ...00010  Tag                    (2) Local                                                                                                                   
     000.....  Class and form         (0) Universal, primitive                                                                                                    
     00000001  Length                 1                                                                                                                          
     00100100  Error Code             (36) Unexpected Data Value

The first thigh that they told us is, that the address of the SMS isn't on the GT address "white" list (what ever that list is).

So if I'm correct, the SMS is routed to a sever in Lebanon (9613488896) and then from there to the destination number.

How can that happen? And if that is OK, why isn't that server on that "white" list?

If there is someone, that could explain a bit more, how the SMS is routed at the API (what SMS center is used)?
That would be a blast!

Thanks. Duke

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: SMS API send problem for some carriers

it seems unlikely that the problem is related to the RIM API, looks more like an issue that you could discuss with the network technicians from vodafone.
It seems you already managed to get around the usual support answers, so best of luck there.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

I agree that this doesn't look like something you can solve with an API change within your application.  I recommend continuing your investigation with the carrier.  

Years ago SMS between carriers was hit and miss and/or not supported at all in many cases.  Carriers have worked together to clean this up a lot, but maybe you've run into some that aren't properly connected.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: mobitel

Thanks for the responses.
It is true, that the carrier may have problems with some other carriers, as they have no agreement between them.
But the problem occurs, too, when the SMS is send from numbers, both on the same carrier...
So that is strange. Where does that Lebanon number (9613488896) comes from?
I just want to know, how the API handles the request (inner working). Which SMS center is used to handle the SMS?
If that is possible?
Thanks 

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

RIM does not have any sms centers, this question would also best be handled by your carrier.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Highlighted
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Are you able to send/receive SMS messages between these numbers using the built in Messages application?  If not it is definitely an issue on the carrier's side.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker