Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-mobile
Accepted Solution

SMS color texts and font selections

Hi everyone. I'm new to the app developement word. I was hoping someone could lead me in the right direction. I want to create an app that allows the sms body text color and font to be customizable. I have seen a few apps out there so I know it's possible, however, they don't seem to work with os 5.0. This is really more of a personal app for myself I guess you could say. I used to have a bold 9000 that allowed font color and had a vast variety of font styles to choose from and I'd like to have that on my 8520. Can someone help get me started? Again I've never done this before so what I'm really looking for is maybe a quick step-by-step to get me going. I'm not looking to steal or take credit for anyone's hard work (well to me it's hard work because I can't even successfully create a dang theme yet), I just want a little boost so I don't get stuck on my first step like I did with theme building. Smiley Happy Thanks a million in advance!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: SMS color texts and font selections

Can you describe which apps allow you to send Font and color info via standard SMS?

SMS is a 160-char message sent using 7-bit encoding. I'm not aware of any way to encode color and font info, nor would a standard SMS client on the other end would be able to interpret this info.

New Contributor

I have actually seen a few out in the app stores. The only one I have personally used is Empower SMS viewer/composer. That was before I upgraded to 5.0 from 4.6 which was a couple of weeks ago. If I recall correctly, it's more of a threaded-type sms viewer/composer, and I don't believe it took the place of the native sms composer like other apps I've tried, but rather it was integrated (although I could be wrong). I'm also not too certain if it's a java app as I'm really not familiar with the different types of development programs. Im not really looking to be able to send color font for the sms receipient to be able to view, its really more for me and my preference. I just want something simple and similar to the sms composer on my old Bold. Maybe I should be leaning more toward theme building? I know I saw a theme on a BB forum where a developer was asked to create a "theme" using a certain icon pack only. The request was simply to change the icons, not really to change fonts and colors or backgrounds an banners, etc. So basically the requestor just wanted to have those specific icons and have his other settings stay the same. I can't find any info on how to do that in theme builder when it comes to fonts though, nor have I ever come across a theme that changes the actual font style or color in the sms text body. Which of course is why I'm here. Figured there must be a way if Empower was able to do it.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

OK, that's a different story.

You can write your own SMS composer if you like, and you can use whatever fonts and/or colors you like, but the fonts and/or colors on the other end are controlled by the receiver.

The composer would just be a screen with an ActiveAutoTextEditField (I'm guessing). You would then send the SMS using MessageConnection or Datagram.

Here are some relevant articles:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/What_Is_-_Different_ways_to_listen_for_...

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/What_is_-_Different_ways_to_send_SMS_me...

I would also suggest that you bookmark the knowledgbase URL for future reference.

For writing an SMS app, you are going to have to write in Java. Based on your posts, I'm guessing that you are not a Java developer. My advice is to start with the sample programs that ship with the JDE, and get a copy of one of the beginning Blackberry/Java books.

New Contributor

Yay!!! You're the best! Exactly what I was looking for! And you're right, I'm just now trying to get familiar with Java so the resources you posted will most definitely come in handy for me. Smiley Very Happy Thanks for the help!