Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

SQL database?

Hi,

I'm considering porting my iPhone apps to Blackberry and need some sort of sql database to store data.

I read around and it doesn't look that there is built-in one, right?

The persistence store is not acceptable solution for me. 

Any ideas when and what database may be coming to this platform?

I read somewhere that RIM is planning to have sqlite...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://petrovski.net.au
Developer

Re: SQL database?

I haven't tried to use it yet, but there is a Sybase product called UltraLiteJ.

You might want to look into this.

New Developer

It is not free one tough...
Developer
My Device: BB 8320

UltraLite®J mentioned as FREE DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE FOR BLACKBERRY.

May be its only free for developers and need to pay for use by end users. 

Reference:

http://www.sybase.com/products/databasemanagement/sqlanywhere/blackberry 

Use Search. "Accept Solution" if the problem gets resolved.
Developer

Yes, it's only free to develop with. The moment you go to production and release the code you need to license it (not cheap).

A friend at Sybase confirmed for me that the ULJ database just uses the persistent store so frankly it's just bloat ware since it adds yet another layer of code to make an app bigger and slower. The only benefit is it's MobiLink sync server support.

New Developer

Why can’t we have built-in database like any other platform?
iPhone has it, Windows Mobile has it, Symbian has it, why not Blackberry, anyone form RIM?

Would Apache Derby work?

Developer

Useful information jhw1701.

I myself prefer using only open source applications in our projects. 

Developer

What exactly qualifies as a Database and why can't you use persistent store? Personally I've had good luck with

persistent B-trees for most of what I would consider database stuff. You won't have any magic to get ACID 

performance and in many cases you won't have multiple users or even threads. For any apps that come to mind,

address book or GPS interest points, this seems to be quite reasonable way to go. 

If you really need to make an SQL query, I guess you could dig up a parser somewhere and make a couple tables

to translate field names etc. But, I don't see where it is anything other than a level of bloat ware as other poster suggested.

Sure, for highly dynamic data with many possible conflicts in reads and writes, and additional resources to give you

the ACID features that are important for reliabiliy, you really need a tested product that has provided all of these features.

For storing temp or cached data on a device with limited IO capability and overall resources that will be accessed by

only a few different users, I still don't see what a DB contributes. Generally, it would seem people who reqeust a DB

really just need a persistent datastructure.The only time I've had a problem with this is when updating an 

app and I have modified the classes contained in the persistent records but it wouldn't be hard to

devise strategies to export and import data if you needed to preserve data.

I've been using a class I call BonsaiDB ( little trees ) that let's me get the lookup features ( indexes ) I need

for a given situation without having to make an SQL query or even have overhead of multi-user synchronization unless

needed. Since I can usually make some decent guess on a search strategy due to nature of the app, anything

an SQL interface may be able to do seems questionable. I don't need to copy a lookup result from some thing

like an object array into some new appspecific structure or do any other temporary formatting steps.

I'm still making up the interface as I go a long( and hoping to fix implementation issues whenever it becomes an issue)

but generally returning iterators in response to a look up has worked quite well with keys confined to long and String.

Developer

From your introduction B-trees seem to be interesting.

I will look on it after some time. If you can give any more information about your implementation for better understanding, then please provide us.

Thanks 

New Developer

I need SQL/Relational database for few reasons:

• I like coding around databases - that's how I design my apps, that's how I think...
  • My existing iPhone apps use databases,so I though I will reuse a lot of the code logic - just change the syntax from Objective C to Java.
  • yes, I heard that persistent store removes data when your class changes - this would definitely happen - big problem from my point of view!
  • For better performance, I like to only load the necessary data in memory, not the whole object. I do have objects that contain number of lists/arrays of other objects and not all this needs to be loaded unless the user visits certain screen. Can persistent store do this?

This persistent store sounds more like OO Database. And, yes I wouldn't want SQL database that in the end uses persistent store, I am after something like sqlite.