Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780 & Curve 8250
My Carrier: vodacom

Send notification when app is downloaded

Hey guys

I want to add a function to an app so that when the app is downloaded/ installed an sms must be sent to the server to notify the development team that there is a new subscriber...

Any pointers??

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Send notification when app is downloaded

What part of this is causing you a problem?

You probably do not want the SMS sent until after the app has been started, so that you can ask for permission to initiate it.  So can the SMS be sent when the app is first started?

If you are looking for information on sending an SMS, try the Search box (near top right hand side). 

Trusted Contributor

Hi there 

Thanks for the assistance but i have searched the forum.

I want an sms to be sent to the server every time a person installs the application.

FYI  none of this is causing me problems! I am asking for pointers from other developers seeing as im am new to development , nothing wrong with that! That is what a forum is for after all... 

Do you have a problem?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

the user will have to grant your application the permission to send the sms.
to do it directly after installation your app would either be autostart or need an autostart entry point.

what kind of "pointer" do you expect? if you write your request a bit more specifically you could get less general answers.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

"Do you have a problem?"

Interesting comment, have I upset you in a former life?

"Thanks for the assistance but i have searched the forum"

If so, I would have thought you would have found the KB articles relating to SMS, for example one on sending an SMS.  This includes Java code.  So what additional information do you need to do this?

"none of this is causing me problems!"

OK, please suggest how you plan to do this and we can comment on the approach you are taking. 

"I am asking for pointers from other developers seeing as im am new to development , nothing wrong with that"

Well, let us look at your original request:

"I want to add a function to an app so that when the app is downloaded/ installed an SMS must be sent to the server to notify the development team that there is a new subscriber"

So do you need pointers in

a) Adding a function to an app

b) Detecting when the app is downloaded/installed

c) Sending an SMS

d) Notifying the development team that this is a new subscriber (and not a reinstall)

You could also, from this post, need help in designing the class structure to do this, using auto-start so that your application is started on installation, or permissions as I mentioned.  From this post we have no idea what sort of experience you have, so don't know if we need to describe things in great detail or just provide some general suggestions. 

Your original request was bit like a person walking in, off the street, to a builder, and saying "I'm building a shed, can you give me some pointers".  The builder would also certainly need to ask some clarification questions first before answering the question, if only to make sure the person was going to be capable of building the shed!

In summary, if you want our help, then make it easy for us to help, by defining what you want and focusing us on the areas you are not sure about. 

Because your request was open ended, I asked for clarification and provided some information to help you on the way.  Sorry if it offended you, just say if you don't want my help and I won't help you in the future.  Alternatively, continue to make narky comments in response to my posts, and I will get the hint. 

You might find this useful:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#explicit

Trusted Contributor

My opologies for asking open ended questions. 

All I want to know is what class I can use to make this possible or maybe a code snippet to demonstrate what i should be doing, so that I know i am on the right track. This is what I meant by "pointers".

Thank you for letting me know that the subscribers need to give permission  in order for an sms to be sent.