Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Signing API for different JDK version 4.5, 5.0, 6.0 on Eclipse: Help!!!

I am a new Blackberry app developer and I installed Blackberry JDK 6.0 on Eclipse and made some small testing apps. Then I found some API calls (even like Display.Width etc) must be signed before the app can run on a real Blackberry device. So I spent $20 to get three signature files and signed them correctly. Unfortunately, I found out later that my device is actually OS 4.5 so I installed JDK 4.5. Then I found these API calls I used need to sign again.

I tried to contact Blackberry tech support for all most two weeks now, and did not have any answer. This is quite frustrating to get tech support from such a popular device vendor. So I posted here and hope someone may be kindly enough to give me some answers.

1) In my case, do I need to purchase another set of signing files for JDK 4.5?

2) Since I tried to delete and import the signing files I had purchased, actually I could not add my purchased signing files any more. It says it is already signed and prevents me from loading any except showing a message box asking for tech support, while I could not get any answer from tech support. The question here is if I remove a key, any way I can import it back?

3) Is there any sign key that can work for multiple versions of JDK or do  I have to fix on one JDK version for a purchased sign key?

Thank you for all your help.

bbcoder

Developer
My Device: Playbook

Re: Signing API for different JDK version 4.5, 5.0, 6.0 on Eclipse: Help!!!

You can use the same signing set for all OS versions.  Just copy/import them to the appropriate directories/places.

Contributor

Thanks for the help. Here is what I have tried but my Display APIs still show as sign is needed. Any help?

I have both sigtool.csk and sigtool.db files backed up in a different folder say 'sigdata'. When I go to Eclipse/Preferences/black berry Java Plug-in/Signature tool to use import existing keys, I browsed to the sigdata tool folder and it is imported successfully. Now my signature tool only has Install New Keys/Remove Keys links are available, the Import Ecisting keys is greyed out.

But my APIs still have colored lines about the Signing Required (for example Display.getWidth()).

I check the folders in Eclipse, under plugins, there are four folders:

net.rim.ejde\vmtools

net.rim.ejde.componentpack4.5.0_4.5.0.28

net.rim.ejde.componentpack5.0.0_5.0.0.25

net.rim.ejde.componentpack6.0.0_6.0.029

Both files (csk/db) are in vmtools folder.

So which folder are those files supposed to be? do I miss files?

Thank you,

bbcoder

Developer
My Device: Playbook

I don't use Eclipse for development so can't help you there. Smiley Sad  Perhaps someone else will be able to point you in the right direction.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

It's highlighting the code that needs signatures? That is an option you can disable, it doesn't go away when you sign your app. If you imported your keys then your done. All signing should work without problems.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Contributor

Not so fast. yes the warning lines are still there. That is fine. But when I go to Project/Blackberry Package All, I got this error

"Code file does not contain a signature from this SignerID.  Please request a signature."

On my Window/Preferences/Blackberry Java Plug-in\Signature tool tab, the signing has been done because the "Import Existing Keys" link is grayed out.

Any idea?

bbcoder

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

I hate to ask this question, but you are selecting the "sign with Signature Tool..."?  What result to you get when you do this?

Thanks, Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To error is human, but to really mess things up requires admin rights.

If this post has helped, don't be shy and click the kudo's star !!!
Contributor

I did the "sign with Signature Tool..." to add signature keys. The reason I did again here is to pop up the window to make sure I have sign keys installed. 

Another thing I noticed is that it seems we can install multiple sets of keys, for example, spend $20 to register one set of keys, then spend $20 more to register another set of keys. I browsed the forum to know someone did that one for his company and one for his own. But I don't know any document about how to apply different sets of keys to applications. Use different password?  The development documents seem not so comprehensive to cover topics like there.

bbcoder

Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

So when you click the "sign with Signature Tool..." is it asking for a password?  If you supply this, is it signing your application?

When I click "sign with Signature Tool...", I am prompted for my password.  After I supply that it automatically signs my application and sends me several emails.  Are you not getting similar results?  I then can install my app on an actual BB.

I have successfully signed my app to work on OS 4.5, 5.0 and 6.0.  You don't have to spend another $20.

Here is a screen shot of what I get after I type my password for "sign with Signature Tool..."

Signature Tool.png

If it doesn't automatically try to sign then click the "Request" button on the left.

Thanks, Brian
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To error is human, but to really mess things up requires admin rights.

If this post has helped, don't be shy and click the kudo's star !!!
Contributor

Thanks Brian and I kudo you for the information.

I did get the window as yours couple of times, but at the end I got this message

"Code file does not contain a signature from this SignerID.  Please request a signature."

But the problem, as from the beginning of this thread, is that I installed and imported my sign keys. However, it does not seem to work when I tried to sign my application. Basically if I load my app into my device, it simply quits with error message about using Secured API.

Also the popup window never closes. I have to kill Eclipse to get back on. Is that something to do with the sign server ? 

I wish tech support from Blackberry can be more prompt on answering questions as you do.

bbcoder