Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: ATT

Simple Email Template

Hello, I'm a complete beginner I was hoping someone could point me to the right direction.

My company wants a very simple email template (all text-based) that each company blackberry can access, to notify each other of our toll way weather/construction updates. 

We have our own BlackBerry Server and we are wanting to create this template and push it to each phone, without us having to install on each phone individually.

The template only needs to look something like the following:

Highway:

Road Condition:

ETC:

Toll:

My background is only in C# and Java programming and I’m just gathering information at this point, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you all!

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Simple Email Template

welcome to the support forums.

you can use the BES to push an application to all devices, no problem.

there are several approaches to creating the mail, but the simplest would be to invoke the native mail app.

to do that use
http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/blackberry/api/invoke/Invoke.html#invokeA... together with http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/blackberry/api/invoke/MessageArguments.ht...
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9380
My Carrier: ATT

Thank you for the reply Simon = ) !  I've never owned a blackberry device, and I'm still relatively new to programming in general, so please forgive me if my questions are stupid lol. 

- So I'm guessing I will need to write an application in Java to do this?

- Would Eclipse be the IDE of choice for this?  (We only have Visual Studio 2010 here = / )  

- From a user's standpoint, will they be seeing a seperate icon/app that accesses the mail template?  Or would it be an extension within the native mail client?

Thank you all so much for bearing with me!

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

- yes, writing a java app it would be
- yes, eclipse + bb plugin, available on developer.blackberry.com
- you could register a menu item with the native mail application that would do that. or you could have a normal app (with icon), as you prefer.

my guess would be that the menu item approach would be best, you can check its options here:
http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/blackberry/api/menuitem/ApplicationMenuIt...
the first three would be relevant for you.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter