Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Simulating GPS in simulator does not work

When using the storm simulator 4.7.0.61 (platform) the gps location simulation does not work.

I set a gps-route via the gps-location option in device-simulator and started the blackberrymaps. There I started the GPS-Navigation and the app is telling me: 'Searching for satelllites...'. Unfortunately, much time is passing by before anything happens when finally the app is saying: 'Unable to acquire GPS lock!'. Thus, I get no GPS coordinates.

Other apps with GPS support have also failed.

Any ideas?

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: SingTel

Re: Simulating GPS in simulator does not work

Check under Options->Advanced Options->GPS to ensure that both settings are ON. Do you see any map data being populated at all when you try to zoom in or move the map?

Sarim
BlackBerry Development Advisor
www.BlackBerryDeveloper.com
Developer
My Device: Blackberry 9530

While I'm not experiencing the exact issue described above, I am having trouble simulating a "providerStateChanged" event.  I started my application with the GPS and Location Aiding options enabled, and while my application, which registers a LocationListener, was running, I disabled the GPS and Location Aiding options.  Yet the simulator console is still reporting calls to my "locationUpdated" method every thirty seconds or so, and I have yet to see a message that indicates a "providerStateChanged" event.

If a user disables their GPS, will it not call the "providerStateChanged" of a LocationListener?

All code is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and noninfringement.
Developer

Yes GPS Services is set to 'Location ON' and Location Aiding is set to 'Enabled'.

Yes, if I zoom in the map, I will get more detailed map data.

Developer

Any idea?
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

This is caused by an issue with the BlackBerry Simulator.   This is corrected in the BlackBerry Storm 4.7.0.70 simulator.  You can download it here:  http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/devtoolsdownloads.jsp
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

I'm not sure if it is solved. I have following simulators:

4.2.1 JDE simulator - GPS works fine, but my relevant application requires 4.3 OS

4.3.0 JDE simulaotor - GPS not found

4.7.0 JDE simulator - GPS not found

4.7.0 stand-alone latest simulator (4.7.0.75_9530 Verizon)  - GPS not found

Of course GPS is turned on everywhere like suggested in the forum messages. Does it require something extra to configure? Or was it some other 4.7.0 simulator version which worked?

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810

Did you also simulate it from the simulate menu of the simulator?

Cheers.. 

--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Equity Markets Research Group
New Developer

mantaker wrote:

Did you also simulate it from the simulate menu of the simulator?

Cheers.. 

Yes, I opened this window, tried also movement tracking. I must admit the window is somewhat confusing for me, e.g. Sun WTK emulator  GPS event generator is much better, as you can also explitly select current GPS state. I understand that with BB simulator if the GPS simulator window is open, and one of the locations selected then you should have "GPS signal", and if you close Ithe window then you do not have? I did same things with all versions, and it worked only with the oldest one (both location selection and movement). I tried mostly with the built-in BlackBerry maps application.

New Developer

This issue is happening to me with the 9530 Verizon simulator but not with the 9500 Vodafone simulator, both version 4.7.0.75