Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Since there is no SQL support in non-5.0 devices, how can I organize information locally?

Hello,

I am working on an app that has stored information in a local database, and I want to be able to pull information from that database to use within the program.  Can anybody shed some light on how I can accomplish this without using SQL on the blackberry pre-5.0 devices?  Thanks!

Developer

Re: Since there is no SQL support in non-5.0 devices, how can I organize information locally?

You'll probably need to use the PersistentStore (see API docs)

Developer

Re: Since there is no SQL support in non-5.0 devices, how can I organize information locally?

[ Edited ]

PersistentStore is only useful if you need to make the information persist across reboots and you do not want to serialize and unserialize the data yourself onto non-volatile memory.

There are also memory concerns with the PersistentStore; you don't want to store anything inordinately large in it.

Developer

Or (plug plug plug) you could use UltraLiteJ, which is Sybase's local database and as a bonus is a synchronization client (handles change tracking; handles network communications to a server, etc). There is a license fee, but for commercial developers we can usually find mutually agreeable terms. It's part of SQL Anywhere and you can find out more here: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1101en/ulj_en11/ulj_en11.html.

Disclaimer - I work for Sybase. 

Tom Slee

Developer

great, thanks!  i just tested it out and it does exactly what i need it to do.

Developer

This approach would make it much easier to integrate and update with the information on my current database.  How much do licenses run?

Developer

Depends on your revenue model - we can do percent-of-revenue arrangements for consumer apps, and there's more of a fixed price for enteprise apps. But I don't like talking money, I prefer to leave that to our sales team. If you want someone to call you, you could leave me a message.

Tom (tom.slee@sybase.com)

Highlighted
New Developer
New Developer
My Device: dev alpha c (bb10)
My Carrier: www.rzr.online.fr