Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Small Icon at top of screen

Greetings

I have noticed that some APPS, like Facebook for BB, have a small icon that displays at the top of the screen when a Facebook events occured in my inbox, notifying me that I should open facebook to see what the event is.

How do I get my app to create and display one of these types of icons.

Thanks

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Re: Small Icon at top of screen

[ Edited ]

This is done by using the ApplicationIndicator APIs that were introduced in OS 4.6 and are there straight through to 5.0.

You should also check out the MessageListDemo that comes packaged with the Eclipse Plugin and JDE for an example of how to place custom messages into the inbox as well as set the indicator.

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer

I cannot get it to run. It throws null pointer exceptions.. I'll search through the documentation to see if I can work out the ApplicationIndicator API

Developer

Are you trying to run the sample or your own code? Are you running it in a simulator with OS version 4.6 or later?

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer

I ran the sample direct using 4.7.

I worked out what to do from looking at the code in the example

Developer

Sounds good. If you're all set, could you mark this thread as solved? Accept the solution in this post that has helped you the most so others can find it easier.

Thanks.