Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Socket Long Wait For Reply

I am trying to connect via socket to an HTTP server and send a request and wait for the response, however I am waiting an extremely long time (almost 2 minutes) for a response or getting a timeout.

I know my request to the server is valid because if I open a telnet session in Windows to the same IP/Port and paste the request in the dos prompt window I get the response from the webserver almost immediately. This webserver is a server maintained by Google, so shouldn't have a 2 minute response time.

This is how I am connecting:

socketConnection = (SocketConnection) Connector.open(IP + ":" + Port + ";deviceside=true", Connector.READ_WRITE, false);

dataInputStream = socketConnection.openDataInputStream();

dataOutputStream = socketConnection.openDataOutputStream(); 

After this I do a blocking read

ret = dataInputStream.read(recvBuffer);

From a different thread I send the request (Is it a problem for a thread to use the DataOutputStream that was opened by another thread?)

dataOutputStream.write(Data, 18, Data.length - 18);

Based on the logs I am printing out, I see there is no exception when sending the data and it completes successfully. However, I'll receive the response sometimes after almost 2 minutes of waiting or will receive a timeout error or Bad socket id error.

The provider I am using is Telus.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this may be happening?

Re: Socket Long Wait For Reply

What protocol are you using?

New Developer

Right now I am testing with a regular HTTP Get request that I extracted from a wireshark log file. This is just a test to confirm everything is working properly. In the future it will be any number of protocols that I will be using which sit on top of TCP. I want to make sure the base is working properly before moving on to different protocols.

[ Edited ]

Usually the most direct thing to do is redirect your request to a dummy server

and just print the request. I guess you could step through this in the debugger and

see if there are any threading issues-while you don't have source code to the system classes,

you get method names in the stack trace and you can watch members and locals.

I guess upon re-reading, if you get a response sometimes, you could try closing the output stream and not

just flushing it.

Message Edited by marchywka on 01-10-2009 01:03 PM