Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Some super noob questions: any help is really appreciated

Hi all, sorry for these completely noobie questions - I'm not a programmer by trade, but I've been asked to looking into creating an app for Blackberry. I've read a many of the guides, but I can't seem to get the answer to these general questions or find a FAQ anywhere.
  1. If I develop an application for 4.0.2 would newer devices (particularly the Storm 9530) be able to run the app or do I have to build a seperate version that accounts for the touchscreen UI? If seperate apps are required, its there a way method to wrap both into an installer and allow the installer to select the proper version based on the device firmware version?
  2. Are there any additional details on how the App Center and App Store, such as what type of billing method are possible, whether its a only a one time charge (like Apple's App Store) or can it be a monthly recurring charge?

Thanks for the help in advance!

- mark

Developer

Re: Some super noob questions: any help is really appreciated

[ Edited ]

Question #1:

You can create a 4.0.2 application that will "run" on the Storm, but that does not mean it will be usable. The touch interface introduces some challenges (like size of components for touching), and some opportunities (like shortcut toolbars, etc).

However, it should be much easier to create a new 4.0.2 app from scratch that will run on the Storm, than it is to "port" a 4.0.2 app that was written 2 years ago!

If you distribute the application OTA, you can look at the user-agent info in the HTML header and correctly redirect the browser to the correct JAD file for the version that is appropriate for the OS level. This is how we distribute the REX applications.

Question #2:

I don't think anybody knows the answers to these questions regarding the app store, not even the RIM folks.

Smiley Happy

Message Edited by RexDoug on 12-11-2008 07:15 PM
Highlighted
New Developer

Re: Some super noob questions: any help is really appreciated

Thanks for the insight, its much appreciated.