Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Spawn browser

I am working on a loader that starts a browser window with a specified URL and validation parameters, the app then exits, leaving the browser running.  The behavior is not consistent on different phones. 

Question 1:

On verizon phones (8130, 8330), it does not like the parameters.  I get a white Blackberry background and it does not open the page.  My total URL string is around 100 characters long.  Without any parameters, the page loads correctly (but without user validation).

Question 2:

on AT&T phones (we have 8820s) the standard method for starting the browser has not been reliable

(browserSession.displayPage(appURL, "", headers, post); browserSession.showBrowser();...)

This method works on the first attempt, and gets a white screen after that: unless the user explicitly goes closes the page in the menu (ie - back button is not sufficient).  To get around this I used the old style browser method

(int handle = CodeModuleManager.getModuleHandle("net_rim_bb_browser_daemon");...ApplicationManager.getApplicationManager().runApplication(descriptor);...)

This old method works on the AT&T phones, but not on verizon phones.

BTW - The target URL/page is correct. everything is perfect in any the simulators we have tried.  I am using the BB JDE v4.5.

I am sure others have experienced this as well.  Any advice is appreciated;  I am new to this so be gentle.

Thanks in advance,

Frustrated developer

Developer

Re: Spawn browser

Someone from RIM has a link that IIRC was posted here recently. I recall several frustrations trying to

get that to run but if you copy the code exactly the "hang on second hit" problem will go away.

However, the limitations were such that it finally made more sense to write our own browser.

This is not trivial and there are inherent limitations beyond the RIM provided browser but so

far it seems like a workable alternative as the RIM base classes get you started pretty well and

AFAIK they work reasonably on several platforms I've tested with the source code written

and compiled against 4.0.2.

New Developer

Re: Spawn browser

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are you referring to BrowserField, I saw that buried in one post?