Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Storm 2, canvas, too sensitive, I didn't had to press the screen to select an option.

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm using JavaME canvas to draw my own user interface.

To catch the touch events I'm using the pointerDragged(), pointerReleased(), pointerPressed() methods.

Same code runs well on quite almost J2ME phones, on Symbian JVM, on Android ecc. ecc...

Some customers claim that the touch events are too sensitive on Storm 2, claims that they don't need to press the screen to select an option. How this is possible?

Is there another way to manage this problem? What is the way to catch Canvas touch event on Storm 2 and manage the screen pressed or not pressed? Thanks.

PS: On the Storm 2 9550 simulator there is no problem and the software works like a charm, why not on real device?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Storm 2, canvas, too sensitive, I didn't had to press the screen to select an option.

If you are fine with it (since it destroys portability) you can use BlackBerryCanvas, it is the same as Canvas only it includes touch event support.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

Re: Storm 2, canvas, too sensitive, I didn't had to press the screen to select an option.

[ Edited ]

is there a solution to that problem using the standard J2ME canvas?

no one here use J2ME canvas with touch events?

I can't understand why with J2ME canvas pointerPressed() works also without pressing the screen.

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

Seeing as how the Storm is the only click screen touch phone available, I would believe this is the expected behavior. You can use touch functionality in your blackberry apps, you don't have to click the screen, that just adds an extra dimension.

Developer

two customers claimed that apps that react without pressing the screen are unusable...

can't understand why.

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook

If you want to guarantee the click functionality, you'll need to use the BB specific classes.

Developer

With my experience it is better if you could port your application with blackberry classes...........It will help you to handle touch screen better

Developer

sincerely I'm not really interested in the click functionality, my only interest is that touch events must works well. as far as I know Opera doesn't support click due to opera uses J2ME classes, this is ok for me but the problem is to manage the correct sensibility using J2ME classes. I accept tips if someone had some experience using J2ME canvas with BB Storm 2. Thanks.