Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Blackberry 8900 Javelin

Storm 9500 internet permission weirdness

Storm 9500 handset

Vodafone branded

v4.7.0.65

This device always reports to Java that the internet permission is ALLOW even though i have set it to DENY on the permission screen itself. I can open a connection via WAP2 no problem when the permission is DENY! If i set Connections and Interactions to DENY, or if i set just the internet permission to DENY, Java still sees ALLOW in an ApplicationPermissions object provided by ApplicationPermissionsManager.getInstance().getApplicationPermissions()

I can see and change other permissions ok, e.g. Phone, Cross Application, Media, etc.

The internet permission (or external_connections permission, as appropriate) works on other devices from 4.2.1 to 4.6.

I thought this might be because my test application is being reported as a module (after loading with javaloader) but the internet permission is returned as ALLOW for applications as well.

Is this a known issue? A vodafone firmware issue? Or something odd?

Some images: the permission screen; the test working anyway; the handset version info

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storm 9500 internet permission weirdness

It has been suggested to me that the level of OS you have is not the best and that it should be upgraded - in fact Vodaphone UK don't even have that level on their downloads.  Is this device a real Vodafone Storm or a loaner?
Developer

Evaluation unit. I updated to the latest firmware just an hour ago Smiley Wink But that raised a serious issue that i will post separately. When i get around the new issue i will check if the new firmware has fixed the old issue.
Developer

After some more debugging i found that when the Internet permission is set to DENY, it is reported as being TRUE to Java and HTTP is still possible (with my test using wap2). ServiceBook.getSB() fails with a ControlledAccessException though.