Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Storm compatibility mode when converting a MIDlet with RAPC

Hi,

to make my games work on BlackBerry devices I use RAPC to convert the JAR files. On touchscreen devices I use the Canvas.pointer** events and everything works as expected on all devices, including the Storm.

So far my game seems to run with compatibility mode disabled (i.e. without the virtual keypad) when installed using the Desktop Manager. That's exactly how I want it to be but I just wondered whether this is the default case because while searching this forum I always read that, by default, an app will run in compatibility mode if compiled with any older IDE (pre 4.7).

Can someone confirm the behaviour so I can release my game with support for the Storm devices without using IDE 4.7 and create an extra project just for BB Storm. Usually I don't use any IDEs as, over the years, I've developed a lot of tools and scripts to do a huge amount of work required to support lots of different J2ME devices and it'd be great if I could keep doing without in the future.

Thanks a lot,
Michael

Developer

Re: Storm compatibility mode when converting a MIDlet with RAPC

You are right that its better to use older versions of JDE and they will support the higher versions but if you required a feature which was introduced in any new JDE then you will need to use that new JDE because that feature was not supported in older versions of JDE.

But as your app is not using RIM APIs; you are developing a J2ME app; use rapc to convert it in cod and able to run on BB handhelds. You dont need to develop a separate prj for storm. You can use your anyother IDE which you are using currently like Eclipse or Netbeans to develop your J2ME and that will also run on storm using pointer events.

Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.

If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution".

Deepesh Gupta
Developer

It seems that midlets run without the dreaded compatibility mode.
Developer

Thanks for your answers ... seems that everything's ok then for me as everything works as it should - I just wasn't sure because I more than once read in the forum, that the default mode with older SDKs is compatibility mode.

The first time I'm happy to still base my BlackBerry ports on a MIDlet instead of doing a real port to the RIM Api ;-)

Developer

Press the kudos button to thank the user who helped you.

If your problem was get solved then please mark the thread as "Accepted solution".

Deepesh Gupta