Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Storm full screen

I've gotten rid of the keyboard using VirtualKeyboard.setVisibility, but my page is still being giving a size of 320x240 and sublayout of the screen's top-level Manager is called with width==320.

Developer

You will have to modify the code to adopt the physical screen height and width. Use Display.getHeight() and Display.getWidth().

Developer

I've resolved the problem.

There is in fact a touch compatibility mode for applications built prior to JDE 4.7.  If you install an application build prior to JDE 4.7 it automatically runs in this compatibility mode.  If you then upgrade the application with a new build, built with JDE 4.7 the compatibility flag is NOT updated and the application will continue to run in compatibility mode even after reboot.  To resolve the problem, I've given my modules new names in case a user accidently installs the old one they will not be stuck with this problem.

Developer

I'm having this problem trying to run older apps on the Storm.

Sometimes the virtual keyboard comes up when it shouldn't

and I get the cropped screen similar to the one displayed in

this thread.

Is it possible to resolve this without recompiling with JDE 4.7

and creating another build?

Jon

Highlighted
Developer

After installing your Application to your Blackberry, do the following:

options > advanced options (i think in english...) > Applications

find your Application, select it, press the BlackBerry Key, and klick on "disable Compatibility Mode".

some times your Blackberry needs a "Hard Restart" to get this Working. But in my Case it worked without.

cheers,

dognose

Developer

Thanks, I'll give this a try.

Does anyone know if it's possible to disable compatibility mode

by setting an attribute in the jad or alx?

New Developer

Hi

The touchscreen does not work when the compatiblity mode is turned off.

We are using the 4.7 to build the cod.

Retired

Let me use this thread to clear up some confusion on compatibility mode and perhaps shed some light on what you are seeing.

Compatibility mode is used when the application has been designed for a physical input BlackBerry where the application expects to receive input events from the keyboard and the trackball.  There are three ways that your application can indicate whether it should be running in compatibility mode:

1.  If compiled with JDE 4.7 or higher it will automatically NOT run in compatibility.  If compiled with any earlier version of the JDE it will run in compatibility mode.

2.  You can add fields to your JAD file for OTA download indicating whether you want to have the application run in compatibility mode regardless of what version of the JDE was used to compile it.  You can also use a field to indicate whether the user can modify this capability.

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode :  value

RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable : value

3.  The user can modify whether the application runs in compatibility mode.  This is done by going to Options->Advanced->Applications and selecting the desired application.  Bring up the menu and turn on/off compatibility mode.

If your application is running in compatibility mode, it will always have a virtual keyboard, will always be locked to portrait mode and will always translate touch events into trackball/keyboard events.

----------

Now to answer your recent question, you would simply place an appropriate filter on the EditField (for example a numeric filter).  This will automatically place the virtual keyboard into a numeric mode.

Mike Kirkup
Director, Developer Relations
Developer

This is from the JDE 4.7 release notes:

You can set a BlackBerry® device application created in the BlackBerry Java Development Environment version 4.6.0 or earlier to automatically respond to touch events and touch gestures when the application starts. In the .jad file for a BlackBerry device application, set the the RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode property to 'false'.

I assume they mean 'true'?

Developer

mkirkup wrote:

If your application is running in compatibility mode, it will always have a virtual keyboard, will always be locked to portrait mode and will always translate touch events into trackball/keyboard events.

I want the touch events but I don't want the virtual keyboard, nor the cropped screen.

It sounds like the only way to achieve this is to rebuild with JDE 4.7   Smiley Indifferent