Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: Support for BlackBerry Java and Android Apps on BlackBerry PlayBook

br14 wrote:
Seems to me RIM is puishing WebWorks very hard instead and the "player" will be a poor relation.

there's a market for mobile web apps based on frameworks like WebWorks - and so this is great thatv RIM supports this and has open-sourced their platform

on the other side - if you could solve all kinds of mobile apps using html 5 , css etc all would go this way...

but there are iOS, Android, W7, BB Java to develop apps with great feature sets and user experience

so I hope that later there will be also new Java SDK on top of QNX and the 'player-apps' are only a first step to make java apps run. the players will of course only be successfull if they support BB JAva 100%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

"if you could solve all kinds of mobile apps using html 5 , css etc all would go this way"

Check out the demos etc. There's not much you can't do now, and don't forget there's an open API to build those integrations with the device that are not already available. 

"I hope that later there will be also new Java SDK on top of QNX"

The billion dollar question is, why isn't there a JVM and SDK prior to the Playbook launch

For those that didn't already know, QNX already provides JVM support on its Neutrino RTOS. So how come RIM didn't release a JVM and SDK using the existing JVM?

My intuition is that the lack of a published Playbook JVM is in some way related to the legal situation over Java licensing. Googles hijacking of the Java standard with Dalvik may have provided a more efficient JVM, but it has effectively created uncertainly over the very existence of the language. 

Personally I'd like to see a quick resolution of the Oracle patent suit, with Google settling with Oracle in the wider interest of the Java community. Not that its likely to happen. In the meantime should RIM use the Java standard they'll always be at a disadvantage to Androids JVM. 

It will be interesting to see just what RIM puts in place as a "player". As I say, its hard to see how something that runs compiled Java class files wouldn't be classed as a JVM. 

Developer

I still don't belive that RIM could put Android support on their phones. Its incredible.

Developer

The Android apps will be available throught the BlackBerry App World? Android developers should submit their apps to the BB app world??

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

Where do we send them? Do we have to sing them with the BB thing or only with our Android utility?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: ಠ_ಠ

You will have to repackage them and sign them with RIM keys. I don't believe any of that is available yet.