Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Support of GSM 11.11 protocol in BlackBerry APIs

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and the BlackBerry development.

I am in a mission of developping an application in a smartphone that supports wifi technology. So, I am in the phase of choosing the right smartphone (BlackBerry, Samsung, iPhone, NOKIA, Motorolla,...etc). The only requirement for me to choose a smartphone is that its API supports some specific features.

I have started by studying the BlackBerry smartphone and I hope I am in the right way.

The GSM 11.11 standard describes the interface between the phone and the SIM card. I want to know if the BlackBerry API supports such an interface for sending commands to the SIM card and receiving responses.

This interface permits for example to:

- Read the contacts stored in the SIM.

- Run the security algorithm implemented in the SIM to sign data.

- Detemine if the SIM is locked by a PIN code.

-...etc.

So my questions are:

1- Is it possible to query the SIM with the Java API of the BlackBerry smartphones.

2- If yes, what is the API that permits that.

3- If no, is there any other possibility from RIM to add this feature.

Please help.

Thanks.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Support of GSM 11.11 protocol in BlackBerry APIs

I have found that BlackBerry implements partially the JSR 177 which is "The Security and Trust Services API for J2ME (SATSA) extends the security features for the J2ME platform, through the addition of cryptographic APIs, digital signature service, and user credential management.

This specification also defines the methods to communicate to a Smart Card, by leveraging the APDU protocol and Java Card Remote Method Invocation (JCRMI)."

Has anyone tred this API to query the SIM card functionalities (example: RUN GSM ALGORITHM, get SIM contacts, ...etc)

Please help.

Thanks.

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Support of GSM 11.11 protocol in BlackBerry APIs

The BlackBerry API set does not support direct communication with a SIM card to query for things such as contacts stored there.  You can communicate with a custom application running in the SIM card.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker