Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

System messages missing from Event Log (garbage collection, memory cleaning)

The event log on my Storm with 5.0 used to show entries like +GC when garbage collection was done, and messages about memory cleaning, etc.  Then suddenly it stopped showing all that.  I've tried all 3 log levels and resetting after configuring each one, everything is selected to be shown including System.  I've also tried this in simulators, same problem.

My 8330 with 4.5 never showed these +GC messages, but there is a KB article indicating they should be there.

I used javaloader to download the event log and it looked the same on the computer as on the phone, not much there, whereas the System logger used to pour a lot of info into the log such as launching apps and terminating apps.

So, how do I get it back to logging all that?  I've tried everything I could think of, went through all options everywhere.

Thank you...!

Developer

Re: System messages missing from Event Log (garbage collection, memory cleaning)

Well, the GC may just not be needing to run. Create a simple app that just runs System.gc(), and then run it, and see if you get those messages again.

Developer

Re: System messages missing from Event Log (garbage collection, memory cleaning)

The GC is being run, and previously there was a heap of messages in the log that is not there now.  The KB indicates the GC should be logged.  Previously, my Storm was logging all that but I could never get it to show on my Curve, now they're both not showing it.

What would happen before is it would show my app's request for the GC, and then the actual GC, it was logging a lot of stuff.

The log won't accept Debug level, it just goes back to Information, but before whichever of the levels was selected seemed to make no difference.

Maybe that's the problem, the selected level is not taking effect?  That's why I tried resetting the phone, also downloaded the sim for my exact model and OS, and tried other sims.  They seem different in what they log, even among the Storm sims and the 5.0 sims.

Tried attaching the sims to the debugger but the event log showed nothing.  If I could track the GC's and MC's on the debugger that would be find, but I don't know how yet if that's possible.

Thanks for suggestions...

Developer

Something else, before when I ran the Memory Cleaner it would show the MC and then show that it also ran GC.  Now it shows nothing when I run it manually, but just shows a single entry "memclean" when it runs automatically.

Something has changed drastically, and I don't know what -- just installed a few innocent apps, and in case that was the problem I got a fresh copy of the sim for this device/OS, same behavior as the actual device's current behavior.  I've actually never seen the +GC's in the log except on this one device after it was upgraded to 5.0.

Developer

1. Check whether all events are logged -- have a look at Filter Settings in the Options screen of the Event Log Viewer.

2. Are you really saying that the Event Log Viewer does not let you set the Min Log Level to DEBUG? May be some (malicious?) application is constantly resetting the log level to Information or Warning...

Developer

If I set it to Debug, either on 4.5 or 5.0, when I go back into Options it says Information again.  And I can't see any difference whether I have it set to Information or Warning.

Everything is selected in the filter.

Here's what's happening now:  If an app calls System.gc and the GC elects to run, it shows GCappname and then -GC in the log.  If the GC elects not to run, it shows nothing.  And when the GC runs automatically, like if I bottom the memory out, it shows nothing in the log.

None of the messages shown in the KB article  such as +GC(T) are showing up, but in the past they did, and back then I think every call to System.gc was logged and the times it ran automatically were logged.

It just seems like a heap of stuff stopped getting logged.

There's also another problem I'll add in here, I have a lot of apps that redraw the screen frequently and despite being built in the proper JDE and signed, they fill the log with so many warnings the log is almost unusable, and that can't be any good for my animation speed, either.   The warning are about "no sig from 0x33" or no sig from some other number or two.  Looks very unprofessional publishing an app that does something like that, but what I'm getting at here is not signatures but not understanding the event log. 

I went looking for settings somewhere else that might control what the system is logging, because it's not a viewer problem, but the stuff actually isn't being logged -- I download the log to the computer and it's not there.

Thanks again