04-05-2011 03:56 PM
I was wondering if there were any changes as to how TCP connections are handled in OS 6.0
Here is my problem:
People who use my application (mostly overseas) that try to reach my registration server (Here in Ohio) using a TCP connection on BlackBerry OS 6.0 constantly receive a TCP Timeout exception. There have been a few users in the States reporting the same issue, but the vast majority are overseas. One of the carriers the customers reporting this issue are using is Orange (Switzerland)
However, the same phone, when reverted to 5.0, has no problem reaching my registration server over the same TCP connection.
Also, the users can successfully reach my server using WiFi no matter which OS they are using.
I understand the path that a TCP connection takes is not nearly as direct as a WiFi connection, but why would the same connection succeed with OS 5.0 and fail with OS 6.0? As more of my overseas customers switch to OS 6.0, this is becoming more and more of a problem.
Thank you in advance for any input
04-05-2011 06:02 PM
are you using DirectTCP (over Carrier) or over BISB (BB dataplan)
are you using OS 5 Network API or OS 6 Communication API ?
04-05-2011 06:07 PM
I don't think I can help, but some additional information may be useful to me and other responders.
1) Can you tell us the connection string you are using for the connection?
2) Have you got the device log after a failed connection?
3) Are these consumer or corporate devices?
4) You say the connection 'times out'. Is this reported to your connection code as a timeout exception? What does your connection code see?
I would particularly like to see the log. I will be interested to see if the log identifies what connection method the device is actually trying to use. .
04-05-2011 06:23 PM
Here are the answers to your questions - and my total apologies, I was incorrect about the error - I was thinking about something else. The error is:
(*Exception*) net.rim.device.api.io.ConnectionClosedException: Stream closed
Anyway, to answer your questions, Peter:
1. (*Info*) NetworkConnectionElement.createURL(): https://mailgate1.******.net/Microsoft-Server-Acti
2. Yes, I have the log
3. Corporate devices
4. As I mentioned earlier: (*Exception*) net.rim.device.api.io.ConnectionClosedException: Stream closed
Thank you again for any input