Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: 9930 Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

TCP Timeout problem

Hello, everyone. 

I was wondering if there were any changes as to how TCP connections are handled in OS 6.0

Here is my problem:

People who use my application (mostly overseas) that try to reach my registration server (Here in Ohio) using a TCP connection on BlackBerry OS 6.0 constantly receive a TCP Timeout exception.  There have been a few users in the States reporting the same issue, but the vast majority are overseas.  One of the carriers the customers reporting this issue are using is Orange (Switzerland)

However, the same phone, when reverted to 5.0, has no problem reaching my registration server over the same TCP connection.

Also, the users can successfully reach my server using WiFi no matter which OS they are using.

I understand the path that a TCP connection takes is not nearly as direct as a WiFi connection, but why would the same connection succeed with OS 5.0 and fail with OS 6.0?  As more of my overseas customers switch to OS 6.0, this is becoming more and more of a problem.

Thank you in advance for any input

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: TCP Timeout problem

are you using DirectTCP (over Carrier) or over BISB (BB dataplan)

are you using OS 5 Network API or OS 6 Communication API ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
New Contributor

DirectTCP over the wireless carrier (No BIS-B) and the OS 5 Network API

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I don't think I can help, but some additional information may be useful to me and other responders.

1) Can you tell us the connection string you are using for the connection?

2) Have you got the device log after a failed connection?

3) Are these consumer or  corporate devices?

4) You say the connection 'times out'.  Is this reported to your connection code as a timeout exception?  What does your connection code see?

I would particularly like to see the log.  I will be interested to see if the log identifies what connection method the device is actually trying to use.  .

New Contributor

Peter,

Here are the answers to your questions - and my total apologies, I was incorrect about the error - I was thinking about something else.  The error is:

(*Exception*) net.rim.device.api.io.ConnectionClosedException: Stream closed

Anyway, to answer your questions, Peter:

1.  (*Info*) NetworkConnectionElement.createURL(): https://mailgate1.******.net/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync?User=**********&DeviceId=23bbefb7&DeviceTyp...

2.  Yes, I have the log

3.  Corporate devices

4.  As I mentioned earlier: (*Exception*) net.rim.device.api.io.ConnectionClosedException: Stream closed

Thank you again for any input

New Contributor

Some of the connection string was cut off in my last post.  The remainder is:

DeviceId=23bbefb7&DeviceType=*****Sync&Cmd=FolderSync;deviceside=true