Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

TCP receive time out on pre-release BlackBerry - please help

Hi there,

My app is trying to make a network connection and considering how much fun it is to do on the BB platform, I have done a lot of research/hacking/modifications and finally ended up with a solution that works (almost every time except for odd cases). Now, I have a client with a pre-release BlackBerry who tried the same app but is unable to establish the network connection. The message is TCP receive timed out. I need to prove to him that this issue does not occur for the general public and it's because there's something different about his device (being publicly unavailable) thats causing it. My question to the forum community here is that - what could be different about the pre-release BB that would not allow the network connection? I have provided as much info as possible below:

I know that the user is under the T-Mobile UK network. I know that the device found the WAP 2.0 Gateway Service Record. Below is the code that I use to get this record:

private static String getCarrierWapTransport()
    {
        ServiceBook sb = ServiceBook.getSB();
        ServiceRecord[] records = sb.findRecordsByCid("WPTCP");
        String uid = null;

for(int i=0; i < records.length; i++)
        {
            //Search through all service records to find the
            //valid non-Wi-Fi and non-MMS
            //WAP 2.0 Gateway Service Record.
            if (records[i].isValid() && !records[i].isDisabled())
            {

if (records[i].getUid() != null && records[i].getUid().length() != 0)
                {
                    if ((records[i].getUid().toLowerCase().indexOf("wifi") == -1) &&
                        (records[i].getUid().toLowerCase().indexOf("mms") == -1))
                    {
                            uid = records[i].getUid();
                            break;
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        return uid;
    }

The above code is working and it's returning something, and as a result, I append connectionString = ";ConnectionUID=" + carrierWPTCPUid; to the overall connection string.

The device is a 9780 with OS 6.0.0.131.

Being on the T-mo network, is there something that the carrier could be blocking on the phone, since its not released to public, but when they do release phones, the carrier unblocks the same? If someone out there has any idea what could be going on, or what is different about pre-release phones, I would massively appreciate this. I've also tried searching previous forums but didnt really find an exact solution to this.

Thanks,

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: TCP receive time out on pre-release BlackBerry - please help

9780 is not pre-release is it?

I would recommend that you download the Network Diagnostic, build this using the same level of tool that you use to build your app, then put this on his device.  If it breaks, then the problem is the device, since Network Diagnostic is 'RIM' supplied code. 

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/What-Is-Network-API-alternative-for-legacy-O...

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: TCP receive time out on pre-release BlackBerry - please help

the 9780 could have a bundle that hasnt been released yet. Regardless, will give your suggestion a shot.

Thanks,