Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Text to Speech does not work on BlackBerry 8530

Hello,

I noticed the phone has Nuance speech synthesizer/recog, and I assume it has a text to speech ability. I was sucessful in making the text to speech work on the 8530 emulator. But when installing on the phone it didn't make a sound. No error, just no robot voice. Anyone able to share some insight, would be greatly appreciated.

I feel if RIM wants us to develop cool stuff, I would hope they could share or open these API docs relating to the developers at large. Such as abilitiies on the phone for Speech Recognition, TTS, etc.

Thanks,

Carl

BlackBerry Curve 8530 OS version 5.0.0.734
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Text to Speech does not work on BlackBerry 8530

Right now there is no Speech APIs avalible for the BlackBerry unless you use the simulator.

If you copy the required *.cod files from the simulator to the phone and try to use them a dialog (at least for me) will actually pop-up and say that you don't have the rights to use the library. Keep your fingers crossed for OS/API 6.0 but there are no garentees even though many people want them.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.