Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Developer

Tool to check battery consumption by an app

I've developed an application for blackberry smartphones.

Is there any tool to check the amount of battery consumed by an application?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Tool to check battery consumption by an app

Anyone there to help me?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

as far as i know you can only check the battery level per se, there is no information about what application uses how much.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to ask this per se?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Simon means the battery level itself, rather than any more detailed information (for example battery consumed per application).

If you have OS 6.0 or above, you might find it interesting to go into Options --> Application Management, then swipe sideways to see various statistics about your application, for example if CPU usage today.  Compare that with other applications to see if you are using too much CPU. 

That said, GPS and network are probably bigger battery users - does your application make heavy use of either?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I knew that GPS, network and regular update in UI consumes more battery. 

But in my app I have not used GPS, but am regularly update the UI and using network and when QA team test my app in blackberry device for more than a day it seems that it sucks a reasonable (not much) amount of battery.

However my superior asked me to show (battery consumption) by using any tool, he said that he had used a some kinda tool in android devices.

Also I have swiped sideways in the Application management and my application's cpu usage status shows 0% (how is it possible when the application is in the background in opened state?)

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

you can tell your superior that this kind of tool is not available on the blackberry platform.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Trusted Contributor

That is the only option I have to doSmiley Wink

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

"Also I have swiped sideways in the Application management and my application's cpu usage status shows 0% (how is it possible when the application is in the background in opened state?)"

Look at the header area.  I bet it says "Now".  You can change this to other options, including "Today" which will give you cumulative figures.

Trusted Contributor

This is what I've done

Opened my application and in the home screen pressed red end button and navigate to the Application management and swiped sideways in that as you said in the header field it shows "Now"

in this stage the application which is in the background status shows 0%.

And when I changed the header field to "Today" it says the overall cpu usage and the application's contributions in the overall usage (My application also used some amount of cpu)

But my doubt is when an application is in the background in opened state and the header field is "Now" (means items which are currently using the cpu) status shows 0%, how it comes?(I thought even if we sent to background still it is an opened app so it should consumes some amount of cpu)

In blackberry if we send the application to background it won't consume the cpu even if it is in the opened state unless if we are doing any updates in the background state itself?